Saxophone Forum

by Lulanyan
(1 post)
18 years ago

Dukoff MPC

I have been given a dilemna, i have a recommendation for a Dukoff (D7) from my band director, he says its a good sound and would be awesome if i can haul the air necessary. Is that a good sound?? Can't find a good place to go out and try a MPC and am tryin to find a sound clip. Any recommendations?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Dukoff MPC

Wow a band director said that? Thats a mouthpiece I would use for solos in jazz... Ever heard of David Sanborn and Candy Dulfer? They play on dukoffs, Sanborn being a D8 and Dulfer plays on a Saxworks (a well made D8 basically). But the dukoff makers today totally suck, if you get one the smartest thing to do is get it refaced and such...or else you'll have problems...My rails were uneven, tip opening incorrect, baffle wasnt even, side walls were uneven...crazy...also the ligature that comes with it is barly big enough, so you should probably buy a better lig... www.wwbw.com usually gives a small trial period if you want to. Btw, A cheaper, very well made mouthpiece is a Jumbo Java, similar sounds but JJ is hard rubber...but it would help to buy the optimum lig with it...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

A good Alternative that has a very similar design and sound are the Runyon Bionix and Jaguar mpcs. Both are GREAT pieces and coming from runyon you know its quality!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Hey definition if you don't mind me asking, What are the Jaguar mpcs like? I have an XL and another metal not sure which one but I didn't find them to be extremely loud like Runyons famous for...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

The other metal one you have is probably either the Smoothbore or the quantum. The Bionix is extremely loud, and kind of bright, with a good amount of edge. As far as runyons being liud when you need them to be, they've always been there for me. The only one that doesnt quite have the volume is the modele 22, but that is the classically oriented piece

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

But didnt Bird play on a Runyon 22?

Reply To Post AIM

3. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

The current models wouldnt have been offered in bird's time. Runyon's pieces have changed lots over time but have always been great IMO. Ive got a Santy Runyon signed metal tenor piece thats modeled after a berg 0 chamber, cant get that anymore now can you? Parker's Runyon may have been similar to the 22, or even have become what is known as the 22, I dont know

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM