Saxophone Forum

by KactuSax
(21 posts)
18 years ago

Gordon Goodwin transcriptions

Hey guys ( and girls) I was wondering if any of you had either transcribed any solos on either of the GG Big Phat Band cd's or if you knew where to find a good transcription of any of them would be. I have played several of the tunes so I know that the solos are not in the scores. If you know of where I can find them or if you have any please let me know.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by straightj23
    (103 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Gordon Goodwin transcriptions

I thought no one would ever ask. Check out the Big Phat Band Play-Along Book. It's available for alto, tenor, trombone, trumpet, and drums. It contains the 1st parts for those instruments to many of Gordon Goodwin's most popular charts like High Maintenance, Swingin' for the Fences, and many others. The book also contains transcribed solos in the back of each book, but not for every song. In the tenor book, it has only Gordon Goodwin's transcribed solos from Hunting Wabbits and Count Bubba's Revenge, and Brian Scanlon's solos from The Jazz Police and Cut N Run. In the alto book, it includes Eric Marienthal's solos for High Maintenance and Get in Line. I have the tenor book and believe me it is a blast to play. Finally, a challenging play-along book! (The others are too easy for me) Also, Gordon's new CD, "The Phat Pack", is coming out in a few days, and it contains a bonus DVD which allows you to view transcribed solos for various songs. I've pre-ordered it already. Bottom line, it's hard to find a great jazz composer/player in today's world, and Gordon Goodwin is a good find. Stick with it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Anybody else?

Has anyone else got an opinion on the GGBPB play-along books/CDs?

Reply To Post

1. by saxophone2001
        (31 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Anybody else?

The only thing better than a play along book is the full big-band arrangement. I was in an advanced honours regional big band this year, and we did "There's The Rub" as well as "Count Bubba" and that was SO MUCH FUN! Everyone was all excited when the director would call out those pieces to rehearse.

Reply To Post

2. by Jazz7
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Please could you send me the gordon goodwin transcriptions

Reply To Post

2. by Solzano
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

Each of the Phat Band's DVD audio disks contain transcribed solos. www.sallozano.com

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

Cool solo on "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" :-)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Solzano
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

thanks www.sallozano.com

Reply To Post