Saxophone Forum

by tonysax
(5 posts)
18 years ago

dentures

just got full upper denture ...can anyone give me any advice on adhesive .tried to play but bitting down on mouthpiece make me lose my suction...,help.. tonysax

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: dentures

I don't wear dentures--yet, so these thoughts are theoretical. My guess is that the cream-type adhesives might work better than the foam, because I imagine the seal would be better. However, I believe the embouchure is much more than the teeth, and more control should be exercised by the lips than the teeth. I see the teeth as primarily being support behind the muscles of the mouth (lips). It is possible that practicing often for short periods, concentrating on the control of your upper lip without excessive teeth pressure might solve your problem with whatever adhesive you choose (or maybe with no adhesive at all!).

Reply To Post

1. by tonysax
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

Sax Mom..thanks for that come back on this ...well its been a week and a half since i had upper dents and i've been practicing useing some cream type adhesvive (fixadent)..and it held pretty good playing the tenor..no big problem with clarinet .i am playing a gig on sunday nite and that will be the real test ..i'll keep you posted ..thanks again ..tonysax

Reply To Post

1. by tonysax
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

SAX MOM...JUST TO LET YOU KNOW ...I'VE BEEN PLAYING WITH OUT ANY PROBLEMS ...I GUESS NOT KNOWING HOW I WAS GOING TO PLAY WAS THE BIGGEST FEAR ....ALL SEEMS TO BE WORKING OUT .. TONYSAX

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Wonderful! Glad that it's going well!

Reply To Post

2. by DavidA
        (1 post)

18 years ago

Me too. Good point about not relying on teeth pressure instead work on embouchurel. A week after the operation I tried to play and the pressure on the teeth made the denture act like a hinge and it came out. Glad to know there is life after this. I am considering implants as an improvement generally. thanks again regards David

Reply To Post