Saxophone Forum

by stutrane
(15 posts)
18 years ago

Help on mystery sax- ripoff of a super balanced.

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me. Recently, I found an old, beat up silver tenor in a pawn shop. I bought it cheap, recognising it for what it is by its keywork- a vintage copy of a selmer super balanced action. My boss at the repair store thinks, from the mouthpiece it came with, that it was made in italy. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about any companies that made super balanced copies. It's really well made, heavy as hell, fully engraved, right down to the clothes guard, and has, on the G# key, two small holes filled with black plastic which seemed significant to my boss. I currently have the key off and am polishing it, but can send pics to anyone who thinks they might know what it is. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Help on mystery sax- ripoff of a super balanced.

Is there a name on the horn? You know, the Selmer Super Balanced Action is actually a rip-off of a Buffet Dynaction.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by stutrane
      (15 posts)

18 years ago

No, there's no name on the horn anywhere. It's heavily engraved, but where the name etc would be is completely blank, like it was meant to be engraved with a brand, but never got done. I'm trying to find time to put the keys back on, when I do I'll try and add a pic- any clues? Every piece is marked with a no 2, no matter how small a piece it is. And no, I didn't know that about the Dynaction copy... interesting.

Reply To Post

2. by odedtzur
      (19 posts)

18 years ago

jim, how can selmer rip off dynaction if it's a model from 1950 while super balanced started at 1946?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Selmer Balanced Action was first introduced in 1936, not 1946. The Buffet Dynaction first came out in the early 30's, predating the Selmer design by about 4 years.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Buffet Super Dynaction=1957-1975 Buffet Dynaction=1950-1957 Buffet S A=1940-1949 Buffet=Powel=1930-1939

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by odedtzur
          (19 posts)

18 years ago

yeah jamterry that's what i know too. first of all, we were discussing the s-u-p-e-r balanced action, which started at 46. indeed the balanced action started at 35 to the best of my knowledge but the buffet model of that time certainly didn't have the features selmer put into their horns, such as RH bell holes etc.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Super Balanced Action is an upgrade of the Balanced Action which began in 1936. The Selmer Balanced action was based on the Buffet design that became known as the Dynaction. It may have been called something else for a few years prior, but Buffet developed the action a few years prior. If you hold an early Dynaction next to my 1952 Selmer SBA, they are very similar. Not identical, but very similar. There were very few Buffet saxophones sold in the US in the early to mid thirties. Most saxophones were made in the US. Even those sold by Selmer were made by Conn or Buescher for the most part. The US Selmer company under George Bundy had set up their headquarters in Elkhart, IN. They were better able to market the expensive imported French saxophones better than Buffet. Buffet had limited marketing and distributorship in the US. They were well known for their clarinets, but not so much their saxophones. Although there may not have been many Buffet saxophones in the US prior to 1950, the design had been kicking around Europe and France for some time. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by odedtzur
          (19 posts)

18 years ago

interesting what you say about the distribution. maybe we are too far off the original topic here, but just to conclude, i'm not sure you understand this point: yes, the sba might look like the dynaction, but the question is what came first. in 35, when selmer made balanced action, the existing buffet model was far from similar, very far. it is called powel because the designer was from that flute family, amasing horn actually, but doesn't include the features of the balanced action in any way. buffet-powell has left hand side bell holes, selmer has right hand side, for example. the next model by buffet, SA, has right hand side bell holes but that was in 1940, 5 years after selmer already made saxophones with RH bell holes. i can not find any horn that had those things at that time except selmer, correct me if i'm wrong. moreover, one of the main changes in the sba is the left and right hands are not in a straight line, a design that lasted through the vi up until now. buffet hornes have that feature starting from S1, which is 73. it looks more like buffet learned from selmer and not the other way around.

Reply To Post