Saxophone Forum

by saxjunkie89
(393 posts)
18 years ago

Meyer Metal Jazz Mpc.

OK, I just recently ordered a Meyer metal jazz piece for alto, but it didn't come yet. I'm just wondering if it's a good jazz piece. I currently play on a Meyer hard rubber 5, and I ordered this one 5J, so it'll be easy to adapt. Was this a good decision?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Meyer Metal Jazz Mpc.

You'll know soon enough... only you can say what floats your boat regarding the tone and feel of a piece. Be sure to give it a good chance to show what it will do. You may need a while to get the most from it and you might need to try a few different reeds, etc. Keep us posted!

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

18 years ago

I would say that the majority of jazz altoist do not use metal mouthpieces. There are always exceptions to the rule so don't take that comment as a judgement. I would suggest avoiding an extremely bright mouthpiece no matter what material it is made out of. The baffle (inside of the mouthpiece) is probably the most important area. This determines brightness, projection, and heavily influences the intonation. What inspired you to buy a metal mouthpiece? The few professionals that I know who use metal alto mouthpieces play more rock or fusion gigs than staight ahead jazz or big band.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

Metal in a big band is thoroughly OK imo. I use a ss Berg 90/1 in big band for lead alto- why fight the brass? I like the big edgy sound and my intonation has never suffered because of it. True, the majority don't use metal, but jazz is a style where you can dare to be different. Whatever floats your boat!

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

I'll go with the "Dare to be Different" explanation. I like experimenting with different sounds on my saxes. I'm also probably the most unique saxophonist in our school, maybe even county! (not to brag or anything) Besides, most saxophonists I know, or have ever met, have extremely different personalities from eachother.

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

HEY! Guess what, guys! It works on tenor sax very well, too. A Yanagisawa 880 that I'm borrowing from my school if yous wanted to know

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Congrats on finding a great mouthpiece=)

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

WOO!

Reply To Post