Saxophone Forum

by judstr
(8 posts)
18 years ago

Removing paint from a horn...

I know it's hard to believe. Tomorrow morning I pick up a 51 Buescher Aristorcrat Series II 140 alto I won up on eBay for about $340. The horn was apparently painted with gold colored paint except bell and neck. Any suggestions for getting paint off? Is there any chemical approach? I am assuming that old fashioned paint thinner or similar solvent would destroy any laquer as well as remove paint. Thanks for any comments, guidance. judstr

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Removing paint from a horn...

Paint stripper will do it but it will remove the laquer but that will be ruined by the gold paint anyway Dave

Reply To Post

1. by judstr
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks, Dave - that's a good point. I suppose leaving a coat of paint on would affect the sound? And stripping the paint pretty much means taking the horn apart, doesn't it? (It would be interesting to hear the horn stripped down to bare brass, but taking it completely apart seems scarey...)

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

I did this once when I was in 9th grade, and got it back together with no problems... not that I'm an expert, but here are a few hints. - Pay attention - if the horn has setscrews (like old conns) forget it and have an expert do it for you. - don't bend anything - don't force anything - try to lay things out in the way they were on the horn, or label them with tape or something - springs are sharp when exposed to your bare hand! there were a few more, but it's early. pretty much as long as you don't bend anything you're in good shape! (and if you do, I think if you roll it between a board and workbench things should straighten out... or that's how we did regular rod stock in college, and this is just regular rod/tube stock with a few bezels and things attached)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by judstr
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks, Chiamac. I've heard before that dissembly is not as terrible as it appears. And I picked up a book on repairing sax's and flutes which reinforced your point. But it does sound like I'd need to devote some time and space to make sure the project starts and finishes without having to pick up parts, etc. BTW, I picked up the horn this morning, and it seems like the paint comes off with persistent fingernail effort. So maybe there is a non chemical way that might save the laquer. I'll post more when I find out....

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------------------- I suppose leaving a coat of paint on would affect the sound? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- No, the paint wouldn't do much or anything for the sound, but it sounds cheesy.

Reply To Post

1. by judstr
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

'...sounds cheesy'. I'd think from a Wisonson boy that would mean it sounds good! So you don't think a layer of paint over the laquer would deaden the sound or anything? I can live with cheesey looks if the sound is not messed up.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Nah, That sort of thing gets debated to death, but paint shouldn't do any more to the sound of the horn than a winter jacket would do for your singing voice. :)

Reply To Post

3. by judstr
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

Sounds like the MONSTER Cable syndrome...as an engineer I understand the detrimental effect of using too small a guage of wire. But buying some esoteric gold laced, oxygen starved pretty looking cable over good quality lampcord of the same guage...well I've heard the arguments, but I ain't spending my money in that direction! Thanks for the comments.

Reply To Post

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

is the winter jacket down filled or what material is it made of? =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

If you totally dis-assemble it you can use a chemical stripper like Jasco brand (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) or just plain old hot water and baking soda will sometimes release a finish. You want it as hot as possible. You could leave it bare or re-finish it yourself. www.votawtool.com sells Nikolas lacquer in spray cans. Both clear and gold tint!

Reply To Post