Saxophone Forum

by gottydot
(41 posts)
18 years ago

Conn 6m! Please help!

Hi, I was thinking about buying a Conn transitional 6m (alto saxophone) and I wanted to know if this is a good idea. Any good or bad comments about experiances with this sax? I currently play a 1970's Conn shooting star if thats any help. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn 6m! Please help!

JazzGal, if you want a Conn 6M, you would be getting a fine horn. I have one, silver plate with gold bell, and it's an awesome horn. Killer tone.

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

very good idea, far superior pro horn then a mexican made horn Dave

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
      (315 posts)

18 years ago

Once you get used to the position of the G# to Bb pinky cluster, you are talking about one of the greatest saxes ever made. In terms of tone, it literally blows away so many other models, IMHO.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

»Re: Conn 6m! Please help! by swingstreet on 7/4/2006 1:28:00 AM Once you get used to the position of the G# to Bb pinky cluster, you are talking about one of the greatest saxes ever made. In terms of tone, it literally blows away so many other models, IMHO. that man speaks the truth! where were you going to buy one?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by gottydot
          (41 posts)

18 years ago

That I haven't figured out....I've been trying to find one, but I've been mostly looking on ebay.

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

Absolutely! Let me put it this way- I sold my mk. VI and replaced it with a transitional 6M (1933). A wonderful horn!

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

Ya I would think of it as an upgrade. But you tell us. When you play it do you notice a difference?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by gottydot
        (41 posts)

18 years ago

Wellactually, i have never tried one before. i know it sounds silly to want a saxophone without trying it, but thats why i wanted to know some things about it. I have no clue HOW i can try one either.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Hi JazzGal, Don't buy any horn without trying it. Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Radjammin
            (255 posts)

18 years ago

I am not in this boat. I have bought horns without playing them. I personally think as long as the horn quality is high, and you can learn this from educated people on the internet a horn can be adjusted by a good tech. I might not be as picky as people that buy 4k Saxes, but I don't spend my money on junk. That's the benifit of the internet, it's like having 12 super knowledgeable friends to ask. You have to watch out for the doesn't know what they are talking about, just compare responces. If you keep seeing the same responces, they probably are right. Also note not all horns are equal. Pay attention to manufactur changes. A 1944 Conn is a little better then a 1972 Conn. Ok alot better.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by ps
            (35 posts)

18 years ago

I agree. It's pretty tough to try the horn if the buyer lives in Owl's Eye, Aberta and the seller resides in Miami. I've had fairly good luck buying (quality) horns(Buescher, Conn) off ebay. Although I've bought a couple clunkers as well. But these were all $200-$300 horns, so what do you expect, really. The clunkers were $100 horns-still quality horns, but needing considerable work. All in all, I've found most sellers on ebay to be quite truthful-maybe I've just been lucky or maybe they were all afraid of receiving negative feedback. But, after all is said and done, it's the same old story-you pay your money and you take your chances. And of course, buyer beware.

Reply To Post

2. by gottydot
          (41 posts)

18 years ago

Trust me, I want to try it, but I don't have any available to me to try out.

Reply To Post

3. by gottydot
          (41 posts)

18 years ago

yeah, the conn I want is in the 1930's.

Reply To Post

4. by napas14
          (24 posts)

18 years ago

No dont get a Conn bleh, end especially not an alto lol, jk

Reply To Post

5. by gottydot
          (41 posts)

18 years ago

oohhh...so THIS is how it's gonna be, huh? :P Just you wait.

Reply To Post