Saxophone Forum

by sax2themaxx
(1 post)
18 years ago

Pad Repair 1927 Buescher Alto

I have a silver 1927 Buescher True-Tone Low Pitch alto saxophone registered 225704. The padding has never been replaced to my knowledge. The padding is a system of a ball joint coming from the key to a connector inbedded in the pad. The repair shop says that the repair is no less than $400. One option is to take the ball joint completely out. However I would like to keep the saxophone in its original state and not damage it. Does anyone how I can repair myself? I am able to take the ball socket out of the original pads. My idea is to just drill holes into new pads and insert the old joint. Any thoughts?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Pad Repair 1927 Buescher Alto

Welcome to saxquest, The feature your talking about is called a snap in pad. This was a distinctive feature of Buescher saxophones from the 1920s to the 1960s. The 'connector' you describe is not imbedded in the pad, though it may seem that way since it's been stuck in a pad for eighty years. The domed metal part is the snap in resonator, and it can be removed with a screwdriver and reused with the new padset. As for removal of the nubs attached to the keys. I recommend not removing them. Bueschers with original snaps maintain better value than those that have had them removed. Some have had the snaps and nubs removed and report no differences in playing, but I'm kind of an originality freak. $400 is not a lot for an overhaul I think, provided it's done competently and depending on what the overhaul entails. Pad replacement is a time consuming excersize. If you plan or doing the repair yourself, keep in mind that your first effort will likely be rather poor, it can be frustrating, and you can even have major problems that will cost you much more (like if you bend a rod or lose a screw during dissasembly). I would strongly suggest against using a classic horn as your first repair victim unless you can write it off as junk. You can drill out pads, but it might be better to order genuine Buescher snap-in pads from Ferree's Tools or from musicmedic.com: www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/pad-s60.html Be sure to have your technician do the appropriate measurements and order, if he's willing.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Pad Repair 1927 Buescher Alto

also if you decide to do it , make sure you don't damage the snaps, very hard to find replacements for broken ones.

Reply To Post