Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
18 years ago

Vandoren

Hey. I just got back from saxophone camp at Bowling Green State University. One of our counselors, Michael Holmes, is going for his Doctorate Degree in saxophone performance. He also works for the Vandoren company, which I think is really cool. He did a presentation about how the reeds are made, how the reeds are different (traditional to java reeds and such), and he also gave us some catalogs which describes the variety of reeds, mouthpieces, ligatures, and accessories. I got to try some of their mouthpieces. It was VERY COOL! Vandoren also has a new reed case coming soon. It's a case that controls the humidity and temperature inside it. How cool, but expensive, is that! Anybody use vandoren products and want to elaborate?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Vandoren

=) I use vandoren reeds, ligature, and I have 2 mouthpieces. Java reeds are great I love them. The ligature isn't as free-blowing as my FL lig but its about 10 times easier to set up. I have a Java and Jumbo Java mouthpiece. The Java plays pretty bright without edge, but the mid D and E seem extremely stuffy...The jumbo java is cool. It's way better than my Dukoff, and a lot cheaper. I always like how well their mouthpieces are made. They look extremely nice=)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Anybody use vandoren products and want to elaborate? I find their traditional bluebox reeds poor and their ZZs good.

Reply To Post

3. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Two of my five mouthpieces are a T45 Java and T55 Jumbo Java and they get almost all the playing time. For more mellow stuff ('legit', some jazz) I play the Java, mostly with #2.5 Java or V16 reeds. I've been pretty happy with #3 Java and #3S Rico Jazz Selects on the Jumbo for brighter stuff, but I'm really still working on the lip strength for that one. I use the Vandoren lig. on both and love it. I'm not thrilled with the 'standard' Vandoren reeds (but they'll do in a pinch) and haven't tried the ZZs. I don't like their reed cases at all. My experience has been that the reeds don't stay flat *or* all that dry (i.e., they tend to get moldy more than in my Selmer-style felt/glass cases)...

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

I'll go ahead and elaborate: I play mostly concert/classical. I don't like the stuffyness and resistance of the traditional reed. The ZZs are very good and consistent, I'll use one for more carrying poweror if I need something that plays right away. The AL3 mouthpiece is very good as well. I wish I had something like it when I was a beginning student decades ago. The V12 clarinet reeds I find more workable than the traditionals as well.

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

I've used Vandoren reeds since there was only one reed available in a magenta colored box. I also use LaVoz. I think that I'll get a reed case right after I get a gold plated cigarette case. I use traditional because I need a pure sound from which to work. The studios have EQ and effects which can texture my sound the way they want it. I like the LaVoz medium for live work. As for mouthpieces I use Otto Link, Meyer, and the Selmer.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ