Saxophone Forum

by pease-pudding
(6 posts)
18 years ago

Conn Stencil?

I hoping to get an opinion from connsaxman jim on this. I just purchased this and whilst it would definitely seem to be a conn I was wondering about approx year and model. Interestingly it would seem to give a lie to the accepted wisdom that all kalashens are buescher stencils. Thanking you in advance Paul cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&item=290001932704&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn Stencil?

Looks very simular to my 1917 conn new wonder c mel, i cant see if it has the top front F key but i doubt it. I would say its very early 1920's possibly from around 1921-22 as the straight neck version came out around then so the stencils would be from the previous tooling. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

18 years ago

No front F or pearl keys on that horn, and it is definitely a Wonder series Conn stencil. There are thousands of these floating about with a wide variety of names stenciled on them. I have the same horn under the names: E. Domage, Wurlitzer, Masterbuilt. Worth having at least one model, but since they are neither rare, or have keywork up to the later New Wonder I and II models, I wouldn't pay more than $150.00 to $250.00 for one in need of a re-pad and adjustment, and I do my own sax repairs/re-pads. Rarely are they worth paying for a re-pad, save for the playing and enjoyment of the horn.

Reply To Post

1. by pease-pudding
        (6 posts)

18 years ago

I am hoping, from the photos, that the pads will be reasonable and having purchased it purely for pleasure, and to keep my Lyon & Healy Buescher stencil company, I am happy with price. I am also fortunate in that my repair tech will do a complete refit for about ?90 ($175), he is excellent as long as you don't mind a 2-3 mnth wait, which I don't. I'm delighted that it is a conn wonder and probably a bit more of a rarity this side of the pond. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Reply To Post