Saxophone Forum

by saxseeker
(2 posts)
18 years ago

EM winston rainbow series sax

I am not a sax player. i browsed around the forum but didn't find any discussion on this particular model, hence this posting. is this alto sax a good student model? my kid will be learning the alto sax this fall and i am considering this because of the color (aqua blue) but i would like it to be a good student model as well besides the look. any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by musicman_horton
    (19 posts)

18 years ago

Re: EM winston rainbow series sax

You're better off going with a Yamaha YAS 23. The Winston is a cheap imitation of a quality horn. The Yamaha, while more expensive, will last longer.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by thelittlemarchingone
      (50 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, any horn that isn't a normal instrument color like blue or green or purple or something is not a good horn - although it make look cool, it will have a poor sound and be REALLY hard to learn on. The yamaha's are good student horns, and also Selmer Bundy I or II's make really good student models, I learned on a Bundy alto for 5 years. Best of luck :)

Reply To Post

2. by saxseeker
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks go to the above two replies with advice! I was leaning toward a yamaha yas 23 to begin with but the color was what my kid liked the best on the Winston. I know color is not one of the important factors in selecting a sax but if i can get one that not only sounds good but also looks good, why not! based on your recommendation, it looks like i will go with the yamaha. Thanks again!

Reply To Post