Saxophone Forum

by saxophone2001
(31 posts)
18 years ago

What kind of sax are you on?

I'm on a Reference 54 Antiqued Matte Finished Tenor Saxophone with a Selmer C* mouthpiece. What's everyone else on?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmasterfunk
    (18 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What kind of sax are you on?

Yahmaha, though i want a new one.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by alto-man
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

After 6 years of playing a student model, is it a good time to look into geting a better sax? I am going to be playing sax for atleast 4 more years, hopefully more, and i'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get a different sax.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

Alto Man - whether you replace your horn or not depends lagely on finances. If you get a really great vintage horn now , then stop playing in 4 years and want your money back - you should be able to sell the vintage horn for more than you paid, if you take really good care of it. Even if you get a not quite so vintage pro model, such as a Selmer Super 80, you should be able to get your money back, just due to inflation. And if you want to keep playing, you'll have a horn that can go anywhere you are able to take it. - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

3. by selmerfan
    (67 posts)

18 years ago

Ref 54 alto standard lacquer, refaced C* and Meyer M7M, also refaced. selmerfan

Reply To Post

4. by straightj23
    (103 posts)

18 years ago

Hey saxophone2001, you asked the question like we're on drugs. "What kind of sax are you on?" That's funny! Anyway, I play a yamaha student horn. I need a new one.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by roedbil
    (1 post)

17 years ago

I play a 1962 Selmer Mark VI #101xxx (five digits) tenor bought it on a flea market a few years ago for USD 150,- Sold my Selmer super action a week later..hehe I play a Dukoff metal mouthpiece (D7) I also play a rubbish Weltklang baritone

Reply To Post

1. by quach67
      (1 post)

16 years ago

I got a selmer Mark 6 1962 a few weeks ago... but my cannonball is playing more smoother than that, that sounds is excellent.I do'nt know... maybe the mark 6 need to overhaul or... please help me to solve that problem

Reply To Post

6. by selmerfan
    (67 posts)

18 years ago

BTW, I'm not in high school, I played a Mark VI 141xxx alto then... selmerfan

Reply To Post

1. by gottydot
      (41 posts)

18 years ago

I play an alto conn shooting star (mexiconn), with a meyer 5 mouthpiece. But I'm hoping to get a Conn Transitional 6m.

Reply To Post

7. by Christian Anderson
    (73 posts)

17 years ago

yani sc991 soprano chu berry alto silver plated 138xxx mark vi alto conn transitional tenor mouthpieces sop: otto link hard rubber 7 & 8 alto: vintage meyer 5m, metal yani 7 tenor: selmer long shank soloist's E & F Bari: selmer C**

Reply To Post

8. by Tsaxybabe
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

I'm a junior in high school and I play a Yamaha 62 with an Otto Link 6*. It belongs to the school though so I'm looking for a new horn. I'm thinking about getting a vintage Mark VI. What do you think? There's one on this site for $4800, is that a good horn for the price?

Reply To Post AIM

9. by saxandbassplayer
    (42 posts)

17 years ago

I'm on a Selmer Mk VI, 181xxx, and playing on an Selmer S-80 (C*) mouthpiece. I must say, the tone of the horn is fantastic, and so SO SO flexible. I love it.

Reply To Post

10. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

A 1945 Conn 6M Alto with silver plate and gold bell A 1954 The Martin Alto

Reply To Post

11. by Dark Eyes
    (138 posts)

18 years ago

Cannonball is the way to be baby! I got the new Big Bell Stone Series a few years ago. I have a selmer C* mouthpiece as well as a Selmer Soloist. I however find those mouthpieces a little too restrictive so I ordered some mouthpieces. Meyer Black Nickel Metal, Beechler Bellite Metal, and Otto Link RG. Hopefully they're good or I'll send them all back like the dirty rags they are. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

Reference 54 Alto with RPC 90R=) Hear me roar!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by azurealto
        (79 posts)

16 years ago

a simba AS-100 alto. i really have no idea of the quality, though. we don't have enough money to affored anything expansive. (500+)

Reply To Post

2. by Tenor Man
      (8 posts)

17 years ago

My horn is the Selmer TS 100 I use the Schools yamaha C* moutb peice fro concert and marching I also use a metal mouthpeice for jazz and messing aeound

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Tenor Man
      (8 posts)

17 years ago

My horn is the Selmer TS 100 I use the Schools yamaha C* moutb peice fro concert and marching I also use a metal mouthpeice for jazz and messing around

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxkid92
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

I am on a Yamaha 82Z Proffesional Custom Sax. It's action is great!

Reply To Post

5. by ab1990
      (7 posts)

17 years ago

Yamaha YAS-875EX. Best horn out of all the ones I tried. I tried Selmers and I liked the Yamaha much better. C* Mouthpiece, also.

Reply To Post

6. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

alto: yamaha 475, Conn chu berry, Rousseau JDX8, D.C. alexander reeds Bari: yamaha 52, berg larson 110/1, vandoren zz reeds

Reply To Post

7. by joesax
      (10 posts)

16 years ago

Soprano: Antigua Winds Alto: Bundy II Tenor: Armstrong (Conn Director "Shooting Star" stencil) Bari: 1958 The Martin Baritone Puerto PeƱasco (Mexico) Sax Quartet!

Reply To Post

8. by army_alto
      (1 post)

16 years ago

I play a student YAS 23 alto which alot of people do not like but i have yet to find a horn that i like as much as it. as for my mouthpiece i play on a completely custom mouthpiece. about the same tip opening as the c* but a different chamber that gives it a darker sound and producing a somewhat easy altissimo. i've been playing for a year now and i am advancing to the area competion for the all state band and i got accepted into playing for the army band as well as you can tell it's not the horn that makes the sound i beleive that it's the mouthpiece and the reed (i play on a vandoren 3.5 but currently unhappy with the quality at the moment, looking at Francois Louis "Classique" reeds)

Reply To Post

9. by Joe Bananas
      (71 posts)

16 years ago

-Conn Transitional Tenor Silver Plated -Berg Larsen Metal Mouthpiece 2/120 -La Voz Reeds (Medium) or Rico Select Jazz Reeds (#2)

Reply To Post

10. by checkster
      (9 posts)

16 years ago

I currently play a YAS-62II for my alto, and still have my old YAS-23. On Bari I use a Selmer BS 500.

Reply To Post

11. by ki4qwq
      (15 posts)

16 years ago

I'm on a Super Action 80, selmer s90-180 Serie III (w/ high harmonic key), same YAS-82 CUSTOM, same, Vandoren JAVA A45

Reply To Post

12. by stealth_swimmer
      (7 posts)

16 years ago

back in high school I was using Super Action 80 Series III tenor saxophone Selmer S90-180 mouthpiece Rovner Dark ligature Vandoren size 3 and a half reeds (blue box) used the same instrument for jazz but Otto Link Super Tone Master 6* mouthpiece Rovner Mark III ligature Vandoren size 3 V16 reeds or size 3 and a half ZZ reeds

Reply To Post

13. by musicman_horton
      (19 posts)

18 years ago

Super Action Series II Alto with an S90 mouthpiece Black LA Sax soprano (great high register) with a Eugene Rousseau mouthpiece Tenor mouthpiece is a Meyer 6 Hardrubber

Reply To Post AIM

14. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

18 years ago

gold plated selmer super balanced action alto with a c* and a jody jazz hr. hoping to get my tenor soon

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Joe Hamilton
        (8 posts)

18 years ago

haha, look at me, i got a student model yamaha YTS-23 because i dont have enough money for a good horn...i have a metal otto link super tone master 5 facing with alexander reeds. I can still sound pretty good, but hate the sax and the mpc is too closed, looking for a 6^

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Soprano: Keilwerth SX-90, Meyer 5M ebonite mouthpiece. LaVoz medium reeds. Conn New Wonder Series II (1925) Straight soprano, same mouthpiece or Conn Eagle mouthpiece Conn New Wonder Series I (1922) Curved soprano, same mouthpiece Alto: Conn 6M naked lady(1950), Otto Link Tone Edge 5* mouthpiec, LaVoz med. reeds Conn New Wonder Series II (1926), same Otto Link Tone Edge or vintage Brilhart Tonelin Selmer Super Balanced Action (1952) vintage soloist mouthpiece or same Brilhart Tonelin C Melody: Conn New Wonder Series I (1922) Leblanc C Melody mouthpiece, Rovner tenor ligature, bass clarinet reeds (usually Rico or whatever I can find!) Tenor: Conn 10M naked lady (1948) Otto Link Super Tone Master (vintage 5*) or Jody Jazz ESP 7, or Rico Royal Graftonite C-3, LaVoz med, reeds King Super 20 (1958) Berg Larson 105/2 or same STM or Jody Jazz ESP Conn 1931 Chu Berry (transitional) gold plated tenor, same STM, JJ ESP, or Brilhart Tonelin Conn New Wonder Series II (1929) silver plated tenor, same set-up as above Buescher 400, Top Hat & Cane (1949) same set-up Selmer Mark VI (1954) Berg Larson 105/2, Bobby Dukoff Vintage Hollywood, Vintage Selmer Soloist Baritone: King Zephyr II (1955) Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpiece, Rico Royal 2.5 reeds Conn 12M naked Lady (1957) same set-up Conn New Wonder Series II (1930) same set-up

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

BTW, I've been out of high school for 15 years now, lol. I also play clarinet. Buffet R-13 (1966) stock Buffet mouthpiece, LaVoz med or med hard reeds.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by mels
            (13 posts)

18 years ago

tenor: p mauriat pmxt 66R with a C** mpc but really looking hard for a new one. alto: 1922 buescher with a berg larsen 80/1

Reply To Post

3. by gemster
            (51 posts)

18 years ago

i play a TJJ Revolution II tenor with a yamaha 5C mouthpiece, but im saving for an otto link because i tried my friends and really liked the tone :D

Reply To Post

4. by JaZzer
            (25 posts)

18 years ago

Alto: Mark VI 60,xxx E. Rosseau JDX 7, FL ligature, Vandoren ZZ 3, Yanagisawa 9 metal, and C* Tenor: Conn 10m, 1959, Berg Larsen, 110/1 sms, Soprano: Yamaha 475, Ottolink 6* metal,

Reply To Post

5. by JimF
            (9 posts)

18 years ago

Selmer Mark VI 211XXX Doc Tenney Slant 7 mpc

Reply To Post

6. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

18 years ago

1941 conn 10M, with a florida 8* link 1939 conn 6M with a few different mpcs

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

18 years ago

I forgot to add that I've been out of HS for about 6 years now.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by brecker|turrentine
            (11 posts)

18 years ago

1928 Selmer Mark VI Tenor Vandoren T75 Java Jazz setup } Vandoren T75 Jumbo Vandoren 3.5 java Vandoren Optimum lig. Concert setup } Selmer C* Vandoren 3.5 regular

Reply To Post AIM

9. by brecker|turrentine
            (11 posts)

18 years ago

1928 Selmer Mark VI Tenor Vandoren T75 Java Vandoren T75 Jumbo Vandoren 3.5 java Vandoren Optimum lig. Selmer C* Vandoren 3.5 regular

Reply To Post AIM

10. by Dark Eyes
            (138 posts)

18 years ago

Did they have a Mark VI Tenor in 1928? ;-) Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

11. by definition
            (963 posts)

18 years ago

hmm yes that date is a bit odd there dark eyes... Im playing a Yanigisawa S-6/Beuschertrue tone sopranos, a King zephyr/yamaha 62II altos, King Super 20 Silversonic/Conn 10M/Selmer ref 54 tenors, martin "Official Music man Model/Keilwerth SX90 baris, and a Buescher Bass saxes

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

12. by brecker|turrentine
            (11 posts)

18 years ago

haha sorry about that i meant to say its a 88

Reply To Post AIM

13. by definition
            (963 posts)

18 years ago

88?? still doesnt seem quite right...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

14. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

18 years ago

Maybe it's a Mark VII?

Reply To Post

15. by ameetp
            (14 posts)

17 years ago

Selmer Paris Super Action 80 Series II Baritone Saxophone, Gold Lacquer Classical Setup: Selmer Paris C*, Vandoren Optimum Ligature, Vandoren 3.5 Blue Box Reeds Jazz Setup: Otto Link Gold, Olegature, Vandoren 2.5 ZZ Reeds

Reply To Post

16. by Donnie The B
            (282 posts)

17 years ago

Wow Jim - you collect as well as play these horns. Nice variety there! My horn=1961 Selmer Mark VI Tenor (93,xxx) I'm the original owner, so high school is long past. Main mouthpiece=Vintage Selmer Soloist F (HR) Quiet piece=Vintage Selmer Soloist C* (also rubber) Considering metal mouthpiece again! Good Luck all.

Reply To Post

17. by gottydot
            (41 posts)

17 years ago

I play an alto conn 6m (1958) with a meyer new york mouthpiece...i'm currently trying some rico jazz selct reeds too. I'm trying my hardest to get a dark and full tone.

Reply To Post

18. by nchilds33
            (2 posts)

17 years ago

Selmer Paris Reference 54 Alto Selmer Paris C* mouthpiece and Alexander classique 3's

Reply To Post

19. by saxmachine777
            (57 posts)

17 years ago

Alright, so it's been a few years since high school, but this one's fun, so I thought I'd throw down: Selmer SA 80 Serie III Tenor Selmer D - Traditional #4 Otto Link STM NY 7* - JAVA #3 1/2 Selmer Mark VI Silver Plate Alto (174XXX) Selmer C* - Traditional #4 1/2 Meyer metal 7J - ZZ #3 Yanagisawa SC992 Bronze Curved Soprano Yanagisawa 5* - Rico Royal #3 Selmer Mark VI Bari Low A 88XXX (But a school horn *jealous groan*) Berg Larson SS London 110/1 M - ZZ #3

Reply To Post AIM

20. by Seano
            (132 posts)

17 years ago

Soprano: B&S Silver Plate (unsure of model) Yamaha 4c mthpiece (YUCK!) and size 3.5 Java Reeds Alto: Conn Naked Lady (1946) Selmer Super Session F, Francois Louis Lig, Size 3.5 Javas Tenors: Dave Guardala 501Black Nickel or Buescher 400, Otto Link Tone Edge 6 or Guardala Crescent (around an 8), Francois Louis Lig, 3.5 Java Reeds or size 4 V16s Flute: Gemeindhart Solid Silver (muahahah) Clarinet: Buffet, Size 3 Vandoren Reeds

Reply To Post

21. by Grubsax
            (11 posts)

17 years ago

I am 17 in high school currently using a Selmer AS500 Student Model Alto Saxaphone, my school just recently went and spent over $25,000 on new equipment for the band and almost everything was replaced with something new. I personally would have to say this is one of the best student models anyone could ever ask for, it's as close to a professional instrument as any could, i wish i could keep it after i graduated. -Joe

Reply To Post AIM

22. by jaja999
            (15 posts)

17 years ago

haha i noticed how noone uses yamaha yamaha 82z, meyer 5, vandorin 3's great horn, tryed the slemer series II but I liked the 82z better.

Reply To Post

23. by jaja999
            (15 posts)

17 years ago

*yamaha 82z alto

Reply To Post

24. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

17 years ago

i actually use a yamaha, but its school owned, a YBS 61 bari. I started on a good old Buescher aristocrat then moved to the yamaha. I now own my own bari an RS Berkely that i got from USA Horn back in July. Personally, i think Yamahas in general are overrated, even more than some people say Mark VI's are. The two top altos in my high school band both play Yamaha Custom Z's (one black lacq and the other normal gold lacq). Both of them sound good, but sometimes they're both a bit squeaky (which isn't good for soloing!)

Reply To Post

25. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

17 years ago

By the way, i play as follows: Sopranino: LA Sax, red lacq. Borrowed from fellow sax player Vandoren Sopranino Mpc. (sorry, i forget model and facing #'s) Stock lig Soprano Rico Jazz Select Filed 3H (gets awesome high notes!) Soprano: J. Erich (basic soprano, got it for $500) Selmer S80 C* Rico Jazz Select Filed 3H Alto: Conn 24MHF student model (still works from 5th grade!) and an old Martin Handcraft from 1931 Meyer 5M BG France Super Revelation Lig. RICO, yes RICO orange box 2's! and Meyer Metal 5J same except for the lig., its the stock one Tenor: Yangisawa 880 (school's) Meyer Metal 5J Stock lig. RICO 2's Bari: RS Berkely Artist Model gold lacq Eugene Rousseau Classic 5R Stock Lig. Rico Jazz Select Unfiled 3H

Reply To Post

26. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

17 years ago

Just to note: Squeakiness is not often a horn problem, but a reed problem.

Reply To Post

27. by JaZzer
            (25 posts)

17 years ago

...or an embochure problem.

Reply To Post

28. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

17 years ago

true...

Reply To Post

29. by davegalloway001
            (1 post)

17 years ago

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A NEW YAS875EX CUSTOM SAX. I TRIED SELMER/CANNONBALL/YANI AND I LIKED THE SOUND OF THE 875EX BEST.

Reply To Post

30. by rachel92491
            (28 posts)

17 years ago

Selmer Bundy II Edition. my moutpiece is a crappy antigua winds mouth piece that i had to buy after my old one cracked during marching season

Reply To Post

31. by jaja999
            (15 posts)

17 years ago

why antigua winds? yamaha 4C is a cheap and very good student mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

32. by rachel92491
            (28 posts)

17 years ago

its was the only one our local music store had. and i needed one that day for a marching contest. believe me, it was not my mouthpiece of choice.

Reply To Post

33. by jmm1713
            (3 posts)

17 years ago

Selmer Mark Vi Alto (88,xxx) , alot of different mouthpieces Vandoren V-16 Reeds

Reply To Post

34. by SAX4ME
            (6 posts)

17 years ago

For my alto I just bought a lightly used Selmer Series III with a selmer S80 C* mpiece, and for my tenor I play on a PMauriat PMXT 66R with an SR Legend mpiece. They are both great horns. P.S. LONG LIVE THE P!!!

Reply To Post

35. by amazingmanderrr
            (25 posts)

17 years ago

i myself am renting a musica, not sure about the rest of it because the people at the music store suck and didn't tell me much, and i might try to get a new one this summer. my mouthpiece is a conn but i know nothing more about it. i broke my first mouthpiece after dropping it on the floor so my music teacher just handed me a new one, told me it was a pro. mouthpiece, and that was that. i was that desperate that i just took it. it's nice to be ignorant of your instruments eh?

Reply To Post AIM

36. by Jenna
            (1 post)

17 years ago

Do you know anything about a Jean Baptiste (alto) JB480A/C

Reply To Post

37. by fliptheshack
            (6 posts)

17 years ago

hi, i play a mauriat 66r too and mouthpiece is a wilkerson 6 h/r..it`s got a awsome sound..

Reply To Post

38. by chalazon
            (547 posts)

16 years ago

hi..I play a Yamaha yts61 tenor that I bought brand new in '75. It's now considered to be a vintage horn. I still play it every day ..cool, huh.

Reply To Post

39. by saxophonist_104
            (148 posts)

16 years ago

i'm on a nickel-plated Wexler alto. i recently got on clarinet: Selmer Signet

Reply To Post