Saxophone Forum

by napas14
(24 posts)
18 years ago

?$$? Dent Removal ?$$?

HI, I was just curious as to how expensive it would be to have a few small dents removed from the body of a horn in general. Thanks for your help

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tbone
    (120 posts)

18 years ago

Re: ?$$? Dent Removal ?$$?

It would depend on the severity and location of the dents. Some dents can be removed in a matter of minutes while others can take considerable time. Pictures would be helpful on this one.

Reply To Post

1. by napas14
      (24 posts)

18 years ago

well, i dont have any pictures but the main dent im concerned with is on the bell of the horn on the side opposite the tone holes near the second right hand pearl, and is about the size of one of the peals on the keys.

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

18 years ago

Bell dents are usually a fairly easy fix. A big dent ball on a stiff rod and rub the dent out. As long as the brass isn't too streched it could probably be removed in less than 1/2 hour but it's hard to tell for sure without seeing it. You might take it to a local tech and get a quote.?. Hope this is of some help!

Reply To Post

1. by napas14
          (24 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Reply To Post

2. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

My pleasure

Reply To Post

3. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

I do a great deal of dent removal on saxophones and other Brass instruments. The cost of dent removal is a function of time. What affects time? Accessability of the dent without taking the horn apart and the quality of the finish you want to end up with. Dents stretch the metal as well as the finish on the horn. If the dent is in the bell section of the horn and can be reached without unsoldering the body tube and braces as well as taking keys off the horn, from me you are probably looking at $20-50. Keep in mind that doesn't include refinishing and you will probably still see a blemish in the finish. It also does not include checking the horn for pad leaks and adjustments. When ever dents are taken out the horn should be checked over for leaks as well.

Reply To Post