Saxophone Forum

by brnpyro
(1 post)
18 years ago

new to the site, saxes, and well everything in between

hi im a 22 year old college senior and after listening to a lot of jazz ive taken an interest in learning to play the sax. ive done a little bit of research and it seems the tenor is the most common for jazz then the alto. for now im just looking for something cheep to learn on but still sounds at least somewhat good (ill buy something nice after i graduate purely because ill be getting paid more). i know this is kind of a dumb move for a forum because ill get dumped with everyones opinions but i figure i got some time to read up before classes start so fire away, im looking for any and all advice you want to give about purchasing, learning (is self teaching reasonable?), and anything else you want to submit. thank you for your time and consideration!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: new to the site, saxes, and well everything in between

Don't get a cheap new horn from China--it will not work well, and our experience has been that it will fall apart and not be fixable. Try going for a used horn of a reputable brand. Look under "High School Saxophone" for "Jim's list of approved Saxophones." That should give you an idea where to start.

Reply To Post