Saxophone Forum

by saxmaniacx
(16 posts)
18 years ago

A Conn, Martin, King, or Buescher?

Hey! I am thinking of buying an american "vintage" sax and i was wondering out of these four brands which brand is the more better brand. And also what models are good out of these brands? Thanx!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Mactenor
    (102 posts)

18 years ago

Re: A Conn, Martin, King, or Buescher?

Reply To Post

1. by Mactenor
      (102 posts)

18 years ago

The earlier modells are the best, before the companies were purchased and ruined. IMHO CONN 10M.......they don't get any better than this, smooth, with a sound that can fill a room BUESCHER ARISTOCRAT........produces the sweetest sound that you will ever hear. BUESCHER 400 TH&C.............great jazz horn, extremely smooth but can peel the paint when pushed. THE MARTIN TENOR..........warm, lush sound, but, as Tex Beneke and others have shown, it can rip with best of tham. KING SUPER 20...........a truly great horn, huge sound, can really scream.....it is saiid that a 20 can raise the dead on Halloween night. They are all wonderful horns made by some of the finest craftsmen that ever lived, unsurpassed quality. I know that it is difficult, but if you cam, try them all, they will llimpres you and one may stand out as the horn that you were looking for. Good Luck Best Regards Mactenor.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmaniacx
        (16 posts)

18 years ago

I have heard some good things about the older saxophones and i think i want an alto. But what brand and model?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Try a Conn 6M, my favorite alto hands down.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

My opinion, but the following altos are all fine instruments, and you should try them all. Conn 6M and 26M (Charlie Parker, Tab Smith, early Benny Carter) King Super 20(Charlie Parker, Cannonball Adderley) King Zephyr The Martin Alto(Art Pepper's horn in the 50's) Beuscher Aristocrat(Johnny Hodges horn) Beuscher 400 All of these horns represent real craftsmanship and sound IMHO. These are some of the best saxes ever made.

Reply To Post