Saxophone Forum

by nbaguy1
(11 posts)
18 years ago

new member introduction

Hi. I'm a 50's/60's rocker picking up my horn after 40 years off! I've got a Yani 991, and use hard rubber Berg's (90/1 and 95/2). My sound is closest to Ace Cannon's (but as you all know no one sounds just like anyone else because the blues/rock "growl" comes from the vocal chords which are unique to every person). I'll be playing vintage rock ('55 to '63; before the "British Invasion"), R & B and blues. I'll be asking some questions from time to tme as I progress with my "comeback"; so thanks in advance!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by nbaguy1
    (11 posts)

18 years ago

Re: new member introduction

Boy, am I showing my age! My Berg's are 90/2 and 95/0...there!

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

40 years! Did they even have record players back then? ;-) That's a really long hiatus - what inspired you to pick it up again?

Reply To Post

1. by nbaguy1
      (11 posts)

18 years ago

An upcoming 45th HS reunion - my old rock band leader is playing; so I decided to join him for a few numbers (ie. Wild Weekend, Rebel Rouser, Honky Tonk). I played the growling, edgy early rock sax sound that was so prevalent until the Beatles brought over the "all guitar" sound. That growling sax evolved into the blues rock sound of the 60's and 70's. I'm also retired so that gave me incentive to return to something I really loved but gave up for family and career

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

Ha! I'm a card-carrying member of that 'all-guitar' generation, and have played guitar since I was about 10, but I was always drawn to the sax and finally got myself one about 2 yrs ago. So what are your top 5 favorite R'n'R sax tunes from the 50s/60s? How about 'surf' & ska?

Reply To Post

1. by nbaguy1
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

My favorites are sax licks performed by Steve Douglas (probably the greatest R&R sax player ever - a session musician with Phil Spector); like Rebel Rouser with Duanne Eddy; Walk don't run; some Jan & Dean stuff, Peter Gunn, etc. Also liked the three sax set-up that Fats Domino used, especially his "solo" guy.

Reply To Post

2. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

18 years ago

The great tenor sax sound on Rebel Rouser was by Gil Bernal, Duane Eddy got that bigger than life sound on this record by reverbing through a 2000 gallon tank of water. Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

3. by nbaguy1
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

Didn't realize that - I know Steve toured with Eddy; assumed he did the record also. It's a very unique sound; almost like a cross between a growl (hum & blow) and a flutter tongue. When I do Rebel I just growl with a wide vibrato at the end of each lick

Reply To Post