Saxophone Forum

by jazzplayer15
(27 posts)
18 years ago

How many of you...?

How many of your high school band teachers teach some amount of Jazz Theory in your Jazz bands? My band teacher isn't teaching us even basic theory, and I want to know if that's normal or if it's a reasonable request to have it taught. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ottolinkfan
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: How many of you...?

I had a different director for my highschool jazz band every year. Only one of which actually knew anything about jazz - he was a professional trumpet player. Based on my experience, I'd say that that is pretty much on par with most band directors (including some of my friends that have gone on to become band directors). If you really want to learn jazz theory you should ask your band director if he can teach you and the group some stuff. It may be, however, that your director just doesn't know that much about jazz or how to go about teaching it to kids. (in my own personal experience getting kids into improvisation is difficult because it can be akin to reading a paper in front of the class, which I always hated doing) Here are two ideas i think you should consider: 1) Ask your band director about hiring a jazz musician or group to come in and do a master class during one of your rehearsals. 2) Take private lessons specifically for jazz. (assuming you aren't already) Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

my high school band director has been teaching at my school for about 30 years. Even though he played French horn through high school and college, he managed to learn jazz theory to a tremendous extent.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh, yes, he does teach it to us

Reply To Post

2. by saxmasterfunk
      (18 posts)

18 years ago

my band teacher didnt teach us any theory but i went to camp where they did and it helped a lot. You should definetly request jazz theory, it will make yuo a much better player

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

I would just expect Band Teacher to effectivly introduce Intervals and Major and Domanant Scales. Also to introduce then in a enjoyable way as to promote learning them. Now I am talking about the regular band class. Trying to introduce more then that isn't going to be very effective in a General Band Class. Trying to tech Jazz Theory at this level in a General class is a big waste of time and I don't think will benifit anyone as intially in college you do more general theory then specific Jazz Theory. Why not spend this time to sure up the basics. I know when I got to college after Zero theory lessons in high school it too me along time to learn just the basics, by that time I was already behind in the more advanced ideas. Instead of tests, I would work interval exercises into the schoolwork. Being able to write them on a test isn't going to get them at the tip of your tounge like you need to be able to do studing jazz theory. Audio exercies in Band Classes would be a novel game and an excellent exercise to work on with the kids.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM