Saxophone Forum

by n5yn
(1 post)
18 years ago

Conn Saxophone Models

I have a Stencil Conn Alto Saxophone with the following information: PATD Dec 8, 1914 A P16203 L I think it is a 1971, but it is a stencil, so I am not sure. Does anyone know the year and value of the sax. I am only asking because I need to buy some replacement parts.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn Saxophone Models

I can tell you that the markings indicate a stencil of a MUCH earlier date than 1971 (possibly late teens through the 30's). Conn didn't use the same serial number series for their stencils (indicated by the P preceding the serial number) as their own, frontline models, so you can't use the published Conn serial number list. The company records for their stencil numbers are no longer available, so dating by this method isn't possible. The Patent date is simply for the Haynes drawn tone hole process used in the manufacture of the horn, and not the date of the horn either. If you post a link to some photos, or email me I can identify what Conn model the horn is based on (likely a Wonder or New Wonder I or II).

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
      (120 posts)

18 years ago

Yes, pics would be required. Also, what parts are you looking for?

Reply To Post

1. by martinsaxman2
        (13 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Tbone, Bert contacted me with photos, and he has a Silver plate Conn Wonder Improved model Bruno of NY Alto Stencil. He appears to be missing the Thumb Octave actuating key mechanism and one supporting post for the same (the octave keycup and lever arm is still intact though). I let him know that it wouldn't be prudent to pour a bunch of money into this horn unless it holds some sentimental value. As you and I know, these are a dime a dozen and don't fetch much in the marketplace.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Martin, Actually I forwarded those pics to you, I think I actually received the reply you meant for him. Anyhoo, we came to the same conclusion. He may be missing the neck to this horn as well. I sent him a run down of what it will need, but haven't gotten a response regarding the existence of the neck yet. The horn isn't going isn't worth a great sum, but it is in quite nice condition, sans the octave lever key.

Reply To Post