Saxophone Forum

by MRN2222
(40 posts)
18 years ago

What to buy?

My son is playing a Buescher Alto which was my father's. It is old and has been redone twice. Now the band teacher wants my son to play the tenor. My father had a Chu Berry tenor. What should I get for my son, since the CHu is my brother's?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What to buy?

Why is she moving him to Tenor? Unless it's Jazz Band, Tenor in Concert band is the Capt. of the Boring Boat. If you gotta switch, is there anyway you can trade the Buescher Alto to your Brother for the Chu Berry Tenor? Were talking family here!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by MRN2222
      (40 posts)

18 years ago

Well, both were my brother's as I got the clarinet and the oboe. My father was a good musician. My brother still plays the Chu Berry Tenor from time to time. My son was switched in the Jazz band to tenor. He sort of started out with alto, then the jr. high band teacher made him play bari in the Jazz band for a year, then he went to high school and played alto for a year, and now to tenor..... . He could get some good sounds out of the bari, but we didn't have one and I thought that it was bad to start on the bari..... THought it would be better to start on the alto.... and then move to the bigger mouth pieces. My son has the beginnings of my father who would sent chills up my spine when he played. So it is sort of a family thing. So I am back to what kind of tenor. He is a bit down because he started the year (two days ago) as first alto, and then the teacher who last year told him that he sounded great and loved the horn, told him the Beuscher sounded "old". ugh. It was just overhauled at Rayburns in Boston. I could let him play on the school horn, but.... there is a lot of ego here. He is kind of down in the dumps about the whole thing, but it could be good.... He is good with theory, can improvise and has emotion in his playing but needs to practice more..... likes his teacher .... so there are some good things.... (They had too many altos and he did volunteer to play the tenor, so.... ) I guess if you play sax you have to be flexible. SO here is the story. What do I do now? ugh Thanks

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

18 years ago

Well, if you can't get hold of your brother's Chu, which by the way is an awesome sounding horn, then maybe a Yamaha YTS-62II. They are good all-around horns. I think the teacher's remark about the Beuscher sounding old is stupid. Sure it's old, but it's a great horn. The Chu is a great sounding horn. Every Chu I've ever heard and tried has a huge tone. Besides, Prez played one even after all of his contemporaries switched to Selmers, and other modern horns.

Reply To Post

1. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Well, that is my problem. I sort of want my son to have what my father played. I am not sure about getting a new horn as there is just something about the old ones...... big tones as you say. I have bought other new "band" instruments ....... (I know nothing about the Yamaha YTS-62II or really anything else) and they don't really hold their value. This one (Yamaha YTS-62II) may be different. I don't know. It seems that the new ones are as expensive as some of the older ones, but they don't sound as good to me and don't have much of value once they are paid off. I know that any Yamaha would satisfy the band teacher because they are shiny....... but I can still hear my father playing..... ugh.... There are a bunch of Chu's on this site, all different prices different numbers and I don't know if any would be good. Then there is the band teacher. I guess what I really need is a CHu that looks like a new Yamaha. (just kidding .... not) Are there other vintage horns to consider? Am I nutz to think of another vintage horn? WHy is a band teacher who does jazz band so uneducated about classic horns? Anything for that? Just heard a bari guy play an old beat up thing..... and wow..... wouldn't trade his sound on that thing for any shine....... Thanks,

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

You might want to ask the teacher if any horn made before 1970 is not going to sound "old" to him. That might be a good place to start before you go off and buy another old horn. He isn't going to like any older horns then you need to move past your dreams of having your son play vintage. No reason to create extra conflict between you and the band teacher that your son would be exposed to. Maybe you can get a better feel of what the band teacher wants. Tell him your buying for your sons future, not a new cookie cutter sax.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Sounds like a good idea. I was thinking that perhaps I could let him use the school horn and then get something else....... Don't really know if it is bad to play on two different horn if you have the same mouth piece..... any advice on that?

Reply To Post

4. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

You mean the Tenor right? What is the Student horn? If your gonna buy him a tenor I would be prepared to spend around $1600 on whatever you buy. Tenors have the unlucky benifit of being super popular vs. their use causing their price to go up. Were you can get a quality used Alto for aroun 12-1400 a quality tenor is going to cost you above $1600, there are some gems (Buschers,Martins) but they would be worn vintage, with your situation not a good recommended horn. I would just save or take a loan out for $1600 and then start shopping. There are lots of quality used horns to buy. I wouldn't buy new, like a new car. Look for the bought by mistake horns or the I got 2 tenors and can only play one situations. Both situations usally return a horn in good quality. Maybe you could get more of a feel for the band director. I know we all wanta hate the close minded band teacher, but maybe if we can understand what he is looking for his students to be playing on it would help. Tenors a strange horn, there really isn't a clasical requirement for it, but if it's going to be his primary horn in college (if he is a music major) then he will have to do his legit training on tenor. Or maybe he is just going to play high school Jazz band and concert but continue his own playing. The general rule is Tone requirements for Jazz and technical requirments for Classical, and then the Pro jazz horn has both tone and technical. So you need both to reach the top but the angle you approch it is differernt for the two genre. For that price range vintage I would look at the YTS 61,Conn 10M (oh come on he has to know this horn!), I would say king but the more propular ones are too expensive. For modern horns I would say Cannonball (the standard laquar ones are sometime cheap),Yani, Yamaha(the 62 is the best for price and quality), P. Mauriat,Keilworth(probaby the non-rolled for less chance of damage he would do if he dropped it and lower price) That's the horns that I looked at if I had the money to buy a tenor. I played Tenor as primary though college for a while but sold it to buy an alto. I recently was going to buy a tenor again, but decided to upgrade my alto. But thouse were the horns I was looking at. Again tenors suck that they are so popular, your paying a little for the hype.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the laugh re: we love to hate..... A student horn is one that you buy on time for three times what it would cost normally only to find that by the time you have it paid off, it starts to shed parts...... and is then worth about 1/6 what you paid for it. THe finish will go and parts (this was a flute) in this case, springs will shoot across the room... The kid will hate music because they are embarrassed about the springs shooting across the floor in band practice...... you then are embarrassed to say that you were sucked into buying this "thing" and it remains in the closet.... the back ..... a pile of springs. They guy in the music store .... said that it was a great "student instrument". THings seem to be going better. My son can rent for 50 dollars/year a Yamaha. He even practiced the alto tonight.... and I found a Beuscher Tenor 56658 but have no idea what it is worth or if it is a good model. ANy idea?

Reply To Post

6. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

First off I am no Beuscher expert, I have never owned one, but the serial number list I looked at has that model at 1919. If this is right, anyone welcome to correct me here , I would not buy this horn for a beginner. I personally won't buy a horn to play older then 1930, perferably later 30's. Horns older then this just have to many years on them for me. 70 plus years of use would not do well in a kids hands. Might fall apart in band class.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

he is in high school, and I don't know where all this vintage talk is coming from. A high school band room is not a great place for an expensive vintage horn! (period) I just saw you can rent a yahama, and that is the way to go. WIth that there are no worries about the condition of a vintage horn, no pressure to baby it at all, and it's pretty cheap. Save up for a new or vintage horn after high school. my opinon.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

I had my father's horn...... which was a vintage alto which he was and is using. I think that we will just rent the Yamaha from the school and make everyone happy. Thanks.

Reply To Post

9. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. I will take your advice.

Reply To Post

10. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

THings seem to be going better. My son can rent for 50 dollars/year a Yamaha. He even practiced the alto tonight.... and I found a Beuscher Tenor 56658 but have no idea what it is worth or if it is a good model. ANy idea? Did you write down the digits correctly? If the five digits are correct, then this is an early horn and it will say "True Tone" under the bottom thumbrest. These horns are nice, inexpensive vintage horns, but can suffer from some accoustical problems and lack a key usefull for advanced playing.

Reply To Post

11. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Also, There is a good chance that Buescher Tenor isn't a Tenor at all if you reported the correct serial number, it could be a horn pitched in 'C' like a flute or piano rather than a real tenor in Bb. A tenor pitched in C would be useless to your son in school.

Reply To Post

12. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

I bet you are right. It has a neck like a tenor though. I don't know what that means.

Reply To Post

13. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

C tenors and the normal Bb tenors look a lot alike. Bb's are larger, but the necks on both are similar.

Reply To Post

14. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. How can you tell from the numbers? Is there a comprehensive chart on the internet? Thanks.

Reply To Post

15. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

You can't tell from the numbers. I'd try to post a pic and perhaps we can tell what it is. Dave Dix has had some insight on the difference before....

Reply To Post

16. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

O.k. Thanks. It was on EBAY . Sort of a lark. I would have to look it up again. I have never bought anything on ebay and probably won't ever, but....

Reply To Post

17. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

As someone who looks on ebay often, about 90% percent of the time it would be a C-Melody. They usually go for about $100-$150 where Bbs go for over $500, typically.

Reply To Post

18. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. How do you tell the difference between the C Melody and the Bbs? Sometimes, there is just a picture and the person who is selling doesn't know what it is.

Reply To Post

19. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

I found these on ebay. Do you have any idea about them? (good news is that my son brought home the tenor and he likes it now and sounds good. He has will take the first lesson on Saturday and already knows what is wrong with the school horn..... so things are moving back in the right direction. He was even talking about getting a good tenor. ) He even practiced and brought the thing home. So any ideas about these: cgi.ebay.com/CONN-Vintage-16-M-Tenor-Sax_W0QQitemZ140022222376QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-CG-Conn-10M-Naked-Lady-Tenor-Saxophone-Sax-EXC_W0QQitemZ270022290708QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Conn-Tenor-Sax-Lady-on-the-Bell-1933_W0QQitemZ200020671994QQihZ010QQcategoryZ119030QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/CONN-10M-NAKED-LADY-TENOR-SAX_W0QQitemZ130020116960QQihZ003QQcategoryZ16234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Thanks, Marleen

Reply To Post

20. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

Well, the first horn is a later model Conn, The Director model, from what I can see. It really is more of an intermediate horn, as it was made after Conn's glory years. A 10M is always a great horn. The third horn looks like a Chu, with the split bell keys. The Naked Lady makes it a transitional horn, but I really can't say. The last one looks like the last of the 10M's, made in the late 50's or early 60's. Though you can get lots of good deals on flea-bay, I am still a little wary of ever getting anything from it. You have to read the descriptions carefully, to determine whether the seller was a player and knows about the horn, or if it was something that someone found in their closet or attic, and have no idea about the horn's true worth or condition.

Reply To Post

21. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. What about the Tenors on Saxquest that are $2000+/-. I don't know much about them except that my father had a Chu Berry. I don't know what rolled tone holes are .... I am a real beginner.... the sax is for my son.

Reply To Post

22. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

Though I haven't purchased an instument from Saxquest, they seem to be a reputable operation, and $2000 for a good vintage tenor is a bargain these days. New horns cost amazing amounts of money. Sure the ergonomics are better, but most modern horns are computer and machine made and lack personality. I suppose it's the age we live in. They're being made to look flashier and play louder to match today's high volume music. Rolled tone holes means the edge of the tone hole is rolled, or rounded after the tone hole has been formed. I have a Conn 6M alto with rolled tone holes, and as far as my experience goes, the rolled tone holes give a better seal and also cause less wear on the pad, so you can go longer before you need to replace a pad. The Chu Berry's have rolled tone holes. As I said, Chu's are awesome sounding horns. I have heard and tried many, and they were all great, especially the tenors. They can be had for a decent price. Check of all of the vintage sax web sites, and you can find quite a number available. Check out some of these sights: www.vintagesax.com www.junkdude.com www.worldwidesax.com I hope this helps

Reply To Post

23. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

I also would suggest looking at these vintage tenors, as they are all great horns, and can generally be found at decent prices. Buescher Aristocrat(Sonny Rollins plays this on his classic album "The Bridge") Conn 10M(One of the best tenors ever made) The Martin Tenor(this is one of the best vintage tenors IMHO, and still undervalued in the market,making it one of the absolute best buys out there. These horns have great tone and among the best ergonomics of many vintage horns.) Of course, you can look at the Chu's, and they are going for decent prices, and they sound great, as I said.

Reply To Post

24. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. Both messages help alot. I looked at the one site this AM and there were a few tenors listed. I am not sure how to make a choice between serial numbers, ages and prices. I have noted that some people like certain serial numbers. Also, some of the prices vary by 800 - 2000 dollars for what seems like the same thing to me....... since I am not educated I don't know what to look for or ask. Any suggestions. LIke what is a Conn 10M? Is that the "naked lady"? I looked at the "junk" site and there were about 6 CHu's but couldn't tell what the differences were. Thanks for your time. Maybe this is too hard of a question. sorry.

Reply To Post

25. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

The 10M is the famous "Naked Lady" model. The M series VIII Conns simply are among the best saxes ever made. They look and sound great. I suggest finding one made prior to 1947, when the rolled tone holes were discontinued, though you may find some good ones at a decent price for horns made after 1947. However, I think that the rolled tone holes make a difference in sound. Just my opinion. Generally the cost of the horns are based on many factors. For example, the better the condition of the original finish, the higher the value. Also, how well has the horn been cared for. If it's an old horn in pristine or mint condition, it will fetch a higher price than one that has been used and abused and shows obvious signs of wear. Horns that have been relacquered or re-plated are worth less than original lacquer or plated horns. Relacquering can affect the tone of the horn. Not always though. You would have to try one out in person, and if it sounds good, then it can be a good bargain. You can usually tell if it's been relacquered when the engraving on the bell doesn't look sharp, or if it looks too new and shiny for a horn that age. The other thing that affects the cost is the finish of old horns. Generally, many old horns have silver or gold plating. Lacquer is a cheaper finish, so silver and gold plated horns are worth more than lacquered horns. However, that's not always the case. A lacquered horn whose finish is intact may command a higher price than a plated horn with a worn finish. I think it's also important that the horn is purchased from a reputable seller who also checked and fixed the horn prior to sale. When you buy on flea-bay, you take a risk, and buy as is. Then you may end up with an instrument that needs an expensive overhaul, or has a missing part which is either impossible to find, or expensive to buy. Another good site to check out is www.saxgourmet.com That site has a vintage sax value guide, and can give you good tips for which were the best years for various model horns. Good luck with your search. Let us know what you find.

Reply To Post

26. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Hi. I have found the following on this site: The first three are CHu's the second is a naked lady and the last two are selmers. www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=210338ChuTenor www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=222002ConnTenor www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=223228CGConnTenor www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=291288Conn10M www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=17899SelmerTenor www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=23976BATenor I was just wondering why the price difference between and among things that seem the same. THen is one if these better than the other for my son. He had his first lesson on the tenor and the teacher said that it sounded good.

Reply To Post

27. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

The Chu's look very nice, and I have no doubt that they sound great. The gold plated models are beautiful and gold does not corrode. It also gives the horn a beefy dark tone. I would seriously look at any of these Chu's. The 10M is a relacquer, so even if it sounds good, it may sound different than it did originally. It could be worth it to look over and give it a try. I really wouldn't bother with any Selmers before the Balanced Action models. American made horns of that era are better and cost less. The Balanced Action is a good horn, but like all Selmers from that model on, they run into money. I think you could give a serious look to the Chu's. They are awesome sounding horns, and the price seems right.

Reply To Post

28. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

Price differences are also affected by the condition of the finish, the condition of the mechanics and other aspects of the horn. A relacquer, like the 10M will lower the price of the horn. Of course, the 10M is worth looking at, as it may still be an awesome sounding horn. It is a 10M after all. It seems as if the value of the Chu's has been climbing lately. There are lots of them available now, and many people are discovering just how great they sound. I have a picture of my father's band in the 40's in Europe, and he is playing a Chu. I have a friend in NYC who owns two Chu's, one alto and a tenor, and he plays everything from straight jazz gigs, to blues and R&B gigs, and these horns fit the bill for him. He loves them, and I've heard him a number of times, and these horns are fantastic.

Reply To Post

29. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the information. My father had a Chu too. Which is better a 10 M with rolled tone holes or a Chu? Just a question. I looked at photos of the two and the keys are placed differently and the mechanism seems different.

Reply To Post

30. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

Now this is a weird question. I am in INdiana and these are on the net. How does one try out these horns? Thanks. M

Reply To Post

31. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

A 10M had a somewhat more advanced mechanism than a Chu. However, they both have rolled tone holes, and the tone holes were discontinued in 1947. Rolled tone hole models are worth more. As for sound, they both sound awesome IMO, so it's really a matter of which is the better deal or the better feel. As for trying out the horns, many of these online dealers allow a trial period to see if the horn is right for you. You have to check with the various dealers to see what the terms are.

Reply To Post

32. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

I found all of these on ebay and am totally at a loss. The prices seem to be all over the place, but a lot lower in some cases than those on saxquest. There are a lot, so you probably won't have time, but any advice would be a help. I am busy grading papers and looking on ebay was a break. ugh cgi.ebay.com/1940-Vintage-Martin-Committee-II-Tenor-Saxophone_W0QQitemZ120028761243QQihZ002QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-The-Martin-Tenor-Saxophone-LOOK_W0QQitemZ160026429199QQihZ006QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1939-KING-Zephyr-Special-tenor-saxophone_W0QQitemZ190029071004QQihZ009QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/THE-BUESCHER-VINTAGE-SAX-TENOR-ALTO-SAXOPHONE-w-CASE_W0QQitemZ120029136807QQihZ002QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Kohlert-Tenor-Saxophone-Rolled-Tone-Holes_W0QQitemZ180027248631QQihZ008QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/King-Super-20-Tenor-Sax-Saxophone-MINT-NEVER-PLAYED_W0QQitemZ160028727323QQihZ006QQcategoryZ119030QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Tenor-Saxophone_W0QQitemZ200026541361QQihZ010QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-TENOR-SAXOPHONE-SILVER_W0QQitemZ140028094306QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16232QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (what could this be?) HENRI GAUTIER SILVER PLATED SAXOPHONE....HORN IS IN FINE SHAPE...VERY FEW DENTS....PLATING IS 95% IN TACT...ALL MECHANISM SEAMS TO BE FUNCTIONING FINE...PADS ARE IN TACT...MAY NEED SOME PAD WORK...CASE IN GOOD SHAPE...THIS IS A LOW PITCH HORN...SERIAL #31909 cgi.ebay.com/BEAUTIFUL-BUESCHER-ARISTOCRAT-TENOR-SAXAPHONE-N-R_W0QQitemZ230027797540QQihZ013QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/1952-Pro-King-Zephyr-Tenor-Saxophone_W0QQitemZ280027235415QQihZ018QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-50s-60s-King-Zephyr-Tenor-Sax-Saxophone-NoRes_W0QQitemZ250027317484QQihZ015QQcategoryZ64454QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem search.ebay.com/tenor-saxophone_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfrtsZ650QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZQ2d1 cgi.ebay.com/Buescher-Tenor-Sax-Saxaphone-Aristocrat_W0QQitemZ110032048361QQihZ001QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Conn-Tenor-Sax-Naked-Lady-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ190030689544QQihZ009QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1912-Conn-Tenor-Saxophone-Elkhart-NoReserve_W0QQitemZ140027724533QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Pre-1940-Buescher-400-Top-Hat-and-Cane-Tenor-Saxophone_W0QQitemZ220027246741QQihZ012QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Conn-10m-Tenor-Saxphone-1952-and-Dukoff-mpc_W0QQitemZ220027267694QQihZ012QQcategoryZ64454QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Tenor-MARTIN-INDIANA-Saxophone_W0QQitemZ260027921483QQihZ016QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Tenor-MARTIN-IMPERIAL-Saxophone_W0QQitemZ260027925218QQihZ016QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Vintage-and-Beautiful-1924-Conn-Tenor-Sax-NR_W0QQitemZ270028923903QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem i

Reply To Post

33. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

When you buy on ebay, you take lots of chances. You can also find some good deals, but since you're in Indiana, and Elkhart, the home base of several sax companies, is in your state, I'm willing to bet that you could find music stores there that have some good vintage horns that can be tried out. Being in the midwest, you have access to lots of fine sax shops, like Tenor Madness in Cedar Rapids Iowa, or Junkdude in Ohio, The Saxophone Shop Ltd. in Evanston Ill., and of course Saxquest. I would check these out before trying ebay. I looked at the links, and there looks to be some good horns there. I think the best ones there, IMO were the Buescher Aristocrat and 400, The Conn 10M, and though the King Super 20 shown was made past its golden era, it still looks good and might be an awesome horn. The Martin Indiana was an intermediate horn, and any Conn made after 1947 doesn'thave the rolled tone holes, and I don't think are as good as the pre-47 models. The Naked Lady model shown is a transitonal model, when it was going from the chu to the M series. It has been obviously relacquered. I would forget about any sax made before the mid-20's. As for King Zephyrs, they're great horns if you get models made before the release of the Super 20. After that, the Zephyr is an intermediate horn, and not as good as the pre Super 20 Zephyrs.

Reply To Post