Saxophone Forum

by Bdehlin
(1 post)
18 years ago

Tarnish Removal

I have a 1949 Big B Aristrocat that has started to oxidize. It has a reddish look to some of the keys and the bell. I was wondering if there was a way to remove this without harming the Brass. I love this sax and I would hate to have to have it relaquered to keep this from happening again. Any Suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Tarnish Removal

Try some Brasso polish. It comes in a white with blue stripes metal bottle. It is used in the military to polish brass, and it won't hurt you horn. Good Luck with that :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

18 years ago

What you are describing is often termed "red rot" and is a result of the zinc in the brass alloy leaching out to the surface. It really should be arrested asap to avoid it eventually eating all the way through (although spots hear and there would take a LONG time to do so). Brasso, as Terry suggested, can be used as can another wonderful product called Hagerty's Metal Paste Polish. This is a non abrasive cleaner that will not scratch the surface, yet is effective in removing the offending red rot. You can find this in department stores that carry fine Silver and stores such as Linen & Things, Bed Bath and Beyond etc. To avoid this reoccurring after removal, you should put a light coat of clear lacquer over the area to seal it from air and moisture. For small spots, clear nail polish will work in a pinch.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

lacquer will work, or some wax will also protect the metal. (it will just wear off faster)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

18 years ago

Has anyone tried liquid polymer car polish?

Reply To Post