Saxophone Forum

by geo488
(2 posts)
18 years ago

how to use multiple mouthpieces with one neck?

How can you use multiple mouthpieces with one neck, without making the cork shrink to the size of the smaller-bored mouthpiece? I tried using a mouthpiece once that had a smaller bore than my typical mouthpiece has, but, after playing it, it took the cork days to re-conform to the size needed for my regular mouthpiece, and for those days my mouthpiece was loose on the cork.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: how to use multiple mouthpieces with one neck?

ive used this trick a couple of times, so i cant comment of the long term affect on the horn: when the cork is really shrunk down, take a lighter, a slowly heat the cork up and it should expand it. move the lighter back and forth rather quickly keep the flame a safe distance away. a buddy of mine burned a chunk of his cork because he wasnt paying attention, got the flame too close and wasnt moving it. best of luck

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by thelittlemarchingone
      (50 posts)

18 years ago

Heat is really the best meathod you can use, as posted above. When I do it I use my tiny hairdryer and wave it back and forth about a foot away from the cork. I feel safer doing that becuase once I burned the cork using a lighter and just had to replace it anyway (I feel better knowing I'm not the only person who's done that!) But the lighter will also work, and probably work quickly as long as you pay attention. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

18 years ago

A safer method is steam. Take one of those kettles with the trigger on it to open the lid, add water and place on the stove. Bring to a boil. The steam will be coming out the little vent in the lid. Simply pass the cork through the steam and it'll expand without threat of burning. If you're sure you want to use both pieces regularly you could have a MP guy open the shank on the small one to match the other one. A cheaper option is to fit the cork to the small one and wrap the cork in teflon tape when using the big one.

Reply To Post

1. by Nelson
          (2 posts)

18 years ago

You can also use dental floss and wrap it around a few times for the bigger diameter mouth piece

Reply To Post

2. by bbasow
        (1 post)

9 years ago

I'm wondering what replies you got to this post. I've had the same problem. Also, I recently discovered that I can't pull one mouthpiece out for enough. Is there aa neck extension so that I can play flatter?

Reply To Post