Saxophone Forum

by SaxNoob
(19 posts)
18 years ago

Meyers or Vandorens?

I am joining jazzband and will also be playing in the concert band as well and i need to know which mouthpiece would suit my needs. So please tell me your professional opinions. I just got the Jumbo Javas A55 and Meyer 5 but i could return any or both of them so please help me.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Meyers or Vandorens?

i wouldnt reccomend either for concert band, grab a C*

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

What sax are we talking here? Alto or tenor? What make? Give me a little more info here and I can give you a few suggestions. The Meyer 5M is a pretty good concert piece. They are a little more open than a C*, and have better sound and intonation in my opinion. The 5M is a good choice for alto or tenor. For jazz, I prefer a metal mouthpiece for tenor; hard rubber for alto. Give me a little more info and I will get back to you. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SaxNoob
        (19 posts)

18 years ago

thank you jim im talking about an Alto Saxophone Yas 23, lol couldn't afford a better one. i am also talking about a jazz mouthpiece since i will be doing jazzband in about a week

Reply To Post AIM

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

You can use a meyer for jazz band too.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Nothing wrong with a YAS-23. That's a great starter horn. I know a few very good players who still play YAS and YTS-23's and love them. I'm not a huge fan of metal mouthpieces on alto, but I must say, the Otto Link New York metal mouthpieces sound really nice on the Yamaha's. The Jody Jazz hard rubber mouthpiece is a good one for alto. They have a nice crisp sound; bright but gutsy, not too shrill. The Ponzol mouthpieces are also very good for alto. I still think one of the best mouthpieces for the money is the Otto Link Tone Edge hard rubber mouthpieces. I would recommend something with a facing of at least a 5*, and would suggest a 6* and a 2.5 reed. I like LaVoz med. soft or mediums, Rico Jazz Select or Alexanders. The Vandoren ZZ reeds aren't too bad.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

YAS-23's are good student horns and are certainly far better than some Chinese made piece of crap that tries to pass itself off as a pro horn. I always recommend the Meyer 5M, as it is a good all-around mouhpiece. You can play several styles with it. I also like using LaVoz medium reeds. Of course, that is something you would have to experiment with and see for yourself. With so many choices, it's hard to always know what to use, but time and experience, as well as guidance from more experienced players will always help.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

18 years ago

The Meyer is a good all-purpose setup, and in a pinch I've used it for legit playing . . . However, if you can afford a separate mouthpiece for concert band, check out the Rousseau NC-4. It's the only non-round chamber mouthpiece I would recommend. Otherwise, stick to something with a round chamber and no baffle--for concert literature, you need a mouthpiece that will not alter a pure airstream.

Reply To Post