Saxophone Forum

by jessica
(13 posts)
18 years ago

Looking for Neck for Conn C Melody

Hello I was wondering if anyone out there has a neck for a Conn C Melody sax that they are willing to part with or if they know where I can track one down. I have the horn, but have no neck.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jessica
    (13 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Looking for Neck for Conn C Melody

Forgot to mention that I already tried ebay, so that suggestion can be left out. Also, I got this horn for next to nothing and that is the only reason why I agreed to take it on without a neck. So, that should answer a couple of potential questions right there :)

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

www.cybersax.com seems to do a lot of Conn CMel biz...

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
      (120 posts)

18 years ago

Straight one with a micro tuner or an early one (tenor shaped)? I've got some of each! email me at [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by jessica
        (13 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your help everyone! I am glad this community is available for all of us!

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

18 years ago

Sounds like Tbone has what you need but, If not, I am getting some new ones made next month which will be available thru my website. aquilasax.com

Reply To Post

2. by jessica
          (13 posts)

18 years ago

Here is another question for you if anyone is still reading this thread.... I have the Conn C Mel with no neck that I got for a bargain. I also have a Lyon and Healy that is complete. Which is the better horn? Past experience tells me the Conn, but some people in the forum have expressed that the Lyon and Healy is the best C mel to have. Other question is...once it is intact... how much would a Conn C Mel approximately be valued at. It is a 1924 model. Rolled tone holes, plating in awsome condtion, no visible dents. The case is in excellent condition and doesnt even have that "old horn" smell. Obviously it needs a repad, but that aside, what is the approximate worth? I am just trying to get an idea if it is worth my money to buy a neck for it. I will be honest...I bought it off of a guy for $75 "as is" in the hopes that I could eventually come up with a neck. Mistake? Perhaps. So, which is the better horn?

Reply To Post

3. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

18 years ago

A complete good cond Conn of that era could go for between $500-$900 If you bought a new Aquilasax neck to value probably wouldn't improve as collectors like to have original parts. However you won't have "the" original anyway. Don't give up yet, I may have an original neck, just have to wait and see how my "not so perfect", body turns out.

Reply To Post

4. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Wow, someone must be reading this thread?!? My inbox was full of requests for C-mel necks. I sold 5! Sorry Jess, I'm now out of straight necks. Which is better? tough call. Being that the Lyon and Healy is really a stencil I'd say the Conn. The L&H's are stencils with extra's though. I've seen some with interesting extra "touches" that one would expect to be on first line horns. There seems to be more buzz for the straight necks. Many players find the playing angle more comfortable. Good luck in your quest.

Reply To Post

5. by jessica
          (13 posts)

18 years ago

So, are you out of straight necks forever? Were they original Conn necks or were they custom made? Thanks anyway for your help. Look for a nice Conn C Melody on eBay in the near future :(

Reply To Post

6. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Forever? I doubt it. I seem to have a knack for scrounging up parts horns. (I'm always buying and selling) I do mostly restorations. They were original Conn necks. If I come across another in the near future I'll drop you a note. T

Reply To Post

7. by jessica
          (13 posts)

18 years ago

Please do keep me in mind!

Reply To Post

8. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

18 years ago

I'm serious Jessica, Many people get C mels without necks cheap and many lose or damage the neck. I'm getting some made and they will be available soon.

Reply To Post