Saxophone Forum

by Slausonm
(51 posts)
18 years ago

Conn 12M Bari Neck & Repair

I thought some of you may like to see the 12M I just finished. img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/5412MA.jpg img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/5412MB.jpg img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/5412MC.jpg img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/5412MD.jpg img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/5412ME.jpg To say this horn was in need of some major repairs is an understatement. Although it has not been refinished, (it has its original silver plated finish) it looks and plays very well now. The one major component it was missing was the neck. In order to solve the problem I used a stock bundy bari neck as a starting point. I didn't have a 12M neck to go by so this seemed to be the best staring point. The first thing I did ,after downloading a nice picture of a 12M neck from saxqest was strip the entire neck down to the neck tube. I turned a nicely fitting plug for the exsisting octive vent tube and silver soldered it in place. The next step was to take some careful measurements of the socket on the bari sax to make a new neck tenon on my metal lathe. Once I knew the size of the tenon I was able to take some measurements form the picture andset up a proportion to scale the new neck key and vent position. I then went on to make the guard wire on the bottom of the neck, and the neck key guide. After soldering polishing and buffing I had the neck silver plated to match the horn. While it would have been better to have an exsisting vintage neck in my hands to copy, this was the best alternative I could come up with. It plays well and the horn has been salvaged. In addition to creating the neck, I also made the two upper bow to body braces, the low D# key guard and the sideF# key guard. These I made by writing a programs for my home built CNC mill and cutting the patterns out of sheet brass and silver soldering appropriate parts to the braces and guard. Enjoy!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn 12M Bari Neck & Repair

Way to go!!!

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

That is indeed very nice, good work! :)

Reply To Post

1. by britt
        (1 post)

16 years ago

i think the sax is nice how much do you want for it

Reply To Post

2. by Slausonm
        (51 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks! I don't repair full time any longer, but like to do strange stuff that others don't do. Making parts, key making, parts modifications... fun stuff! repadding stinks ! : ) Regards, Matt

Reply To Post

2. by soxfan
      (1 post)

17 years ago

You did a beautiful job. I need a neck for my Conn 12M. Would you be interested in making one for me?

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
        (51 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for the complement. I haven't been on the site in a few days so sorry for the late response. Yes, I would be interested in the sax neck job. I would need the sax shipped to me or brought to me if you live close enough. Matt

Reply To Post

1. by redlicks
          (1 post)

17 years ago

hi, my 1952 silverplated 12m needs a neck. Can U make one for me?

Reply To Post

2. by terribleswede3
        (4 posts)

16 years ago

Help! I too need a neck for a Conn 12m (1966), serial #H16705. Also need a RH side f# guard. my e-mail: [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

16 years ago

My schedule has tightened up since school has started up. If you are interested in a repair, I'd have to have the horn. I live in Auburn NY. Welcome to stop in if you live within driving distance. Matt

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
            (547 posts)

16 years ago

Man oh man, have you opened up a can! If word gets around, you'll have everybody and their sister trying to get you to fabricate a neck piece for them...uh oh..gotta say, you do lovely work..inspiring..keep it up...

Reply To Post