Saxophone Forum

by SaxNoob
(19 posts)
18 years ago

Meyer 5 for Jazzband??

Can i use Meyer 5M for Jazz Band? or what. im looking for a good alto mouthpiece. please help me

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Meyer 5 for Jazzband??

What else is a Meyer 5M for? The answer to yes.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

18 years ago

One of the best mouthpieces for jazz, period.

Reply To Post

1. by Christian Anderson
      (73 posts)

17 years ago

great piece, 4/5 play on it at my school.

Reply To Post

3. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

18 years ago

A Meyer 5m would be a great choice for a jazz band mpc. Also, if it's a school Jazz band and your band teacher tells you to get a C* (a lot of school band teachers tell kids to) DONT! A Meyer can serve as a fine legit mpc with LaVoz or Hemke.

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
      (148 posts)

18 years ago

The Meyer 5M is the trusty standard for Jazz Band. For over 30 years I've played mine for everything from Bop to Fusion to Blues and back again. I once auditioned for the Mass Youth Wind Ensemble at the Boston Conservatory with my Meyer 5. I'll never forget the "you've got to get a Selmer C*" demand by the Orchestra auditioner. He liked my playing but my sound was too bright. He asked me to return with the C* for a second audition. I bought a new S80 C* and hated it immediately. That was a defining moment in my musical development. I still look at that C* mouthpiece in my sax case. I kept it in the original box since 1978. It is tinged with the red dust that used to be a faux-felt lining of the box.

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
        (101 posts)

18 years ago

Then it has been approved--Meyer 5's (mine's a 5ms) are hearby declared "Good For Jazz Band" Alternately, will it be necessary for the jazz posters to decide if "C*'s" suck"? Awaiting the results of the jury.........

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

C*?? Im not particularly trilled by them anyway, but PLEASE them out of the jazz band

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxmachine777
          (57 posts)

17 years ago

I think the C* is a wonderful mouthpiece for that which it was created. You can produce a wonderfully rich, warm, and dark tone for classical playing that has a subtle but present character--all virtues of finer things such as a fine wine or scotch, chocolate, or cigar (just trying to give some credit where credit's due here)--but it isn't a mouthpiece for everyone. It has a hard place to find in jazz because there are so many mouthpieces that offer more extreme pitch-based and/or tonal control and that provide the sonic capabilities for jazz ensembles and settings. I love my Otto Link STM 7*. It is probably my favorite mouthpiece, and it gives me the attributes that I listen for in a mouthpiece. Opinions abound, though. After all, what is essential is that the player feels what he or she wants to feel and hears what he or she wants to hear.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

Guys - listen to the saxmachine! I've been playing for 44 years - the first 20 or so with a hard rubber Selmer Soloist C*. I had a big dance band, played in rock bands, small jazz groups and even subbed in a country band, of all things. While in school, I played in an orchestra. When required to be polite, my C* was as polite as my jazz head could get. And when called on to be nasty - the C* growled and wailed. Now I admit, since I have an F tip Soloist and a Barone 7* metal piece, there's no way I put the C* on much anymore. But if I forgot and left the others at home, the C* Soloist would still work!! The same piece in the hands of my daughter only seemed to have one voice. I really think the player makes a lot of difference. (Can't speak to the newer Selmer pieces for sure). - - - Later.

Reply To Post

4. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Well, sure, the soloists can be great (I use one for classical playing on tenor), but I meant the modern, square-chamber C*'s. They sound pretty good, but it is too easy to sound that way on them, and if you are a pro, or even an advanced student, that's fine, but I have seen students who play on them develop bad habits that made it hard for them to adjust to any other mouthpiece, or progress their sound past a certain point (not always; I'm not making a blanket statement, but it DOES happen sometimes).

Reply To Post

5. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Well, sure, the soloists can be great (I use one for classical playing on tenor), but I meant the modern, square-chamber C*'s. They sound pretty good, but it is too easy to sound that way on them, and if you are a pro, or even an advanced student, that's fine, but I have seen students who play on them develop bad habits that made it hard for them to adjust to any other mouthpiece, or progress their sound past a certain point (not always; I'm not making a blanket statement, but it DOES happen sometimes).

Reply To Post

6. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

7. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

8. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

9. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

10. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

11. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

12. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Sorry that got posted so many times. I don't know how that happened.

Reply To Post

13. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Little spastic on the Post button, huh? :-)

Reply To Post AIM

14. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

No, I just hit it once! Really! but my keyboard is kind of old...

Reply To Post

15. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

No, I just hit it once! Really! but my keyboard is kind of old...

Reply To Post

16. by nicocarrre
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks guys i was recommended to get a 5m while i played my C* for jazz and so far the reviews are great! what are the best reeds or recommended reeds for this mpc?

Reply To Post

17. by nicocarrre
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks guys i was recommended to get a 5m while i played my C* for jazz and so far the reviews are great! what are the best reeds or recommended reeds for this mpc?

Reply To Post

18. by edoney
          (20 posts)

16 years ago

I played LaVoz mediums on my Alto 5M for years then switched to Vandoren Javas (3 or 31/2). Lately I'm using Alexander DC (3 or 31/2) with an Optimum ligature.

Reply To Post