Saxophone Forum

by plennt
(1 post)
18 years ago

Looking for an inexpensive soprano sax to mess around on.

Hello all- I am a first time poster. I have been playing strictly jazz alto sax for a long time, and I feel like I want to experiment with something new. I am a student going into high school (luckly I am in just jazz band!) and I have always loved the sound a soprano makes. It would help me because: - It gives me another sound and approach when I play the sax. - It is easier to take around to jam sessions - It would better my understanding of Bb instruments. The problem is, I really can't spend anymore than 400-450 dollars, and I don't want to get a cheap bad sounding horn that spends more time with my local repair man than it does me. Is their anyway I could find a decent sounding horn for the price or should I just wait and save up?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Looking for an inexpensive soprano sax to mess around on.

i would defenitely wait... and more importantly get into a legit ensemble. you need that basis of playing to enhance your jazz playing. hold off on the soprano, you wont get a decent horn for that price

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I got my used E.M.Winston on Ebay for $140. It was a risk, but panned out wonderfully. I love the horn, intonation (once I got used to the idiosyncracies of the soprano) is great, and I wouldn't let it go for less than what buying a new one would cost.

Reply To Post

2. by serieIIIsax
    (6 posts)

18 years ago

I just bought a soprano myself and I'm a sophomore in college, so it's probably not necessary to get one at this point. Grow into your alto sound and really concentrate on producing a good consistent tone. A kid in my saxophone studio bought a Winston soprano on Ebay also just to fool around with and I must say that for what he paid for it, it plays really well. He paid about what your budget is, around $400 I believe. However, when he got it he found out that it was teal which looks pretty strange. So if you do go through Ebay, make sure what they are posting really is what you're going to get.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Teal? That must have been a refinish, or custom finish, as the E.M. Winston website doesn't mention that as an available finish. (Mine is silverplate, so it does have some tarnish, but the tarnish certainly is not teal.) :-)

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
        (100 posts)

17 years ago

Perhaps it's brass tarnish! Aquilasax sopranos go for less than $400 and they are guaranteed!

Reply To Post