Saxophone Forum

by spotless
(1 post)
18 years ago

Lewin tenor sax

Hello saxfans, I have a Lewin low-pitch tenor sax, made in the USA, that my son bought. I can't find any info about this on the net. Anyone here know any history of the Lewin brand? The instrument is now with me in Scotland. thanks, Bob

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxtress
    (2 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Lewin tenor sax

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/811

look at these pics - people do say these are Martin Handcrafts but the serial numbers are very different! I have one purchased in UK 1927. 

Reply To Post

1. by csax-uk
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

spotless / saxtress - hello - the serial number on your Lewin (if, as is quite likely, that it is a Martin stencil) will not correspond to the official Martin serial number / year lists. There are very few stencil serial number / year lists.

This is common across all stencils - i.e. instruments made by major manufacturers (Martin, Conn, Buescher etc.) but engraved with the name of dealers, shops, or anyone else who sells those saxophones "as if they were their own", under a different name than the actual makers.
      Regards, Alan 

Reply To Post

1. by saxtress
        (2 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks Alan! What baffles me is the attitude towards
        stencils - these are top quality instruments in great
        playing condition, all of 90 years old yet playing young:
        surely they are collectable vintage instruments? I guess anyone
        lucky enough to possess such a gem isn't going to trouble
        what value other people put on them though - nobody's making
        these any more! 

Reply To Post

1. by csax-uk
          (2 posts)

10 years ago

Ah, but there is the (possibility...) that the named horns play just that little bit better than the stencils, and/or are made with just that little bit more care and attention than the stencils,or is it all in the mind ?  The stencils are often made with 'last model' tooling, and don't have a great cash value, whereas 'name horns' can be an investment - look at Selmer MkVI's !

But players (like me) are quite happy to get great stencil horns at bargain prices, and can smile inwardly !  E.G. I've got a Conn stencil straight Soprano which is identical to a slightly earlier 'named' Conn Soprano (I've compared them side by side) - the only difference is that Conn stencils normally don't have the rolled toneholes, big deal !

So, stencils are (often) very good, and cheap, 'playing' horns.  But lower cash value.  If you want to pay (often more than) double the price, you can get a 'name' horn, which will hold - or even increase - its value.

But then again, as there are good and bad horns in any given range, you might get a great stencil that plays better than an indifferent 'name' horn.  The arguments can go on and on....   Hmmm, having written all this, I may turn it into a blog topic !  Nice to talk to you.  Alan

Reply To Post