Saxophone Forum

by tofer_million
(5 posts)
18 years ago

C* is not cutting it

I am playing on a yamaha 62 II and as you know it is a bright horn. The regular C* S80 isnt producing the dark rich tone i am looking for. I dont know if its the mouth piece or the vandoren traditional reeds but i need some suggestions. If anybody has any ideas, i would appreciate it. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxplaya81
    (110 posts)

18 years ago

Re: C* is not cutting it

Have u ever tried La Voz reeds, When I play on the m with my mouthpiece I get a darker and more mellow tone.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

you'll wanna lose the C* try a vandoren piece, you can get them easily and they've got a better dark tone than the selmer pieces

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by tofer_million
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

which vandoren mouthpiece do you recomend or is there a group you would recomend me to try (like i can play test a couple and then decide?)

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Try a few different sizes in the optimum or the V5

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by OANegrin
          (26 posts)

18 years ago

If you are looking for a DARK RICH tone, Selmer and Vandoren simply won't yield this goal. You would have to go with large chamber mouthpieces such as Caravan, Morgan, etc. Warmth, however, comes from flexibility and a reasonably forgiving setup. If you have a good command of voicing, you can get a warm tone and agile facility with any Selmer mouthpiece (S80 C*, C**, D; S90 170, 180, 190; LT; Soloist C*, C**, D). or Vandoren (A17, A25, AL3, AL4) and others as well. Try a lot of these, because quality control is disappointing these days. Angel

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

18 years ago

I've never been fond of the C* S80 because of the square chamber (last I checked the shape of the saxophone tube was round . . . ). That being said, I would recommend something with a round chamber. Check out what Ralph Morgan has to offer. When it comes to my legit setup on alto (and I play an older 62), I actually use a horseshoe-shaped chamber (although all my other setups are round chambered) in a Rousseau NC-4. It has a wonderfully round and rich legit tone (I use blue box Vandoren 3 or 3.5 with a Winslow ligature). Also, they're not too expensive . . . Good luck!

Reply To Post

3. by DarkMan
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

It might be as simple as a small change- trying out a C**, or an S90. When it comes down to it, though, the equipment will only do so much.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

17 years ago

I stumbled upon this thread and found it interesting,,,so the sax is not square therefore the mouthpiece chamber should not be square!!! i wish to ask is the sax horse shoe in shape ? then why use a horse shoe shaped piece? Is a clarinet square in shape ,,yet the best pieces are square in chamber ,,,,,,,here is even better does a sax have a baffle ,,,,then why should a piece have one,,,,,is the sax not brass ,,,,then all pieces should be brass ,,,,and NY meyers in ebonite should be worthless!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The S80 C* is the most used classical mouthpiece and not for no good reason ,,,it blends a good mix of control with some bite to it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,unforunately it must be played with very little lip pressure ,,,,it will not tolerate a tight biting embouchure ,,it has to be played completely open or almost ,,,,,very few players actually play this way ,,,,,,,,,one must learn to play the bore not the reed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post