Saxophone Forum

by Dark Eyes
(138 posts)
18 years ago

Celebrity Deathmatch - Adderley vs. Parker

Hey everyone. Lately I have been listening to a lot of Adderley and I've come to notice how rich his tone was. However, I think Parker probably had better technical skills. Then again, my personal opinion is that Cannonball had more expression in his playing. Anyway, to the point. If there were to ever be a saxophone collosus celebrity deathmatch who would be the victor. Would it be Adderley's passionate crooning sax or would it be Parker's maniacal fingering explosions!?! I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!! Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Celebrity Deathmatch - Adderley vs. Parker

I got one. How about Gary Bosnik vs Dan Higgins.

Reply To Post

2. by Stiles B
    (101 posts)

18 years ago

This is almost impossible to reply to. As a mere mortal, I would be considered a heretic for picking a winner in a head-to-head matchup between these two. I think, also, that the difference in technique would have to be measured in nano-microns. Perhaps the nod would invariably have to go to Bird as he led the way for an entire genre/style of music. (crouches in corner awaiting lightning bolt to strike)

Reply To Post

3. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

i would say cannonball. it doesnt matter how fast you can play, its all about the tone you produce.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by swingstreet
      (315 posts)

18 years ago

I know that comparisons like these are often pointless, and then we have to respect Parker's position as an innovator. I also agree that speed is not always the criteria of a superior player. However, I always enjoy listening to Cannonball far more than Parker. I wouldn't say it's just because of the quality of the recordings, but also, very often, and perhaps unfortunately, Parker often sounds like a junkie. Cannonball's only drug was the aspirin he took for his migraines. I think Cannonball's tone was richer and smoother, which was influenced by Benny Carter, according to Cannonball. If speed was a criteria, Cannonball could keep up with Bird. Listen to his solos on "Two Bass Hit" or "Limehouse Blues" as an example. Of course, I will always tip my hat to Bird for his innovations. You can't play the saxophone or jazz without going through him. However, for pure listening enjoyment, I prefer Cannonball. Expressive tone, a great groove, and very tasty playing. Cannonball, though not an innovator, may have been one of the foremost assimilators of the history of jazz. His playing reflected the whole development of jazz up to his time. Just listen to how he could absorb the ideas of John Coltrane while they were both with Miles, and yet still sound so completely like Cannonball. Cannonball was a very melodic player too. No matter how he explored the changes, you can always hear the tune. As far as I'm concerned, that is one of the most important things a player can do.

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

18 years ago

I just want to add that I have the feeling this will end up in a heated debate. Looking forward to reading the other points of view.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
      (141 posts)

18 years ago

That would be analagous to pitting J.S. Bach and W.A. Mozart in a "deathmatch" . . . in my opinion, two different things entirely . . . that being said, I have always looked at Bird and Cannonball as the Bach and Mozart (respectively) of jazz saxophone . . . Bird laid the groundwork, and Cannonball was the next step in it's evolution . . . (another way of expressing this would be Bird was the Baroque era of saxophone, and Cannonball was the Classical era . . . ). The bottom line is: "Which player moves you more?"

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

18 years ago

Good analogy. Mozart also was not an innovator, but assimilated all of the great composers into his unique and genius music.

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

Plus are we talking musically speaking or like in a hot dog eating contest? 'Cause Bird was famous for his appetite.

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
            (101 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry, I just wanted to keep it light and avoid a "heated discussion". I also want to get feedback on a possible "Coltrane v. Brecker" dust-up.

Reply To Post

2. by bigred
            (43 posts)

18 years ago

wow this is a tough one, but i'd have to give the edge to bird just because he is the father of bebop and inspired so many players (including cannonball) now Trane vs Brecker id once again have to go old school and pick trane. first, he changed the way saxophone is played even to this day. also he pretty much started the impulse record label. and he was an (innovator) wrote some of the greatest tunes ever (giant steps and the love supreme suite) But brecker is probly the greates ever technically on the saxophone. and he created "Delta City Blues"!!!!

Reply To Post

3. by Dark Eyes
            (138 posts)

18 years ago

"Delta City Blues" is amazing in all respects. The technical aspect was simply stupendous. I loved it.

Reply To Post