Saxophone Forum

by Cindylu
(1 post)
18 years ago

Difference between Selmer Bundy and Selmer Bundy II?

Just wondering if there is a difference of if they are the same. There is someone selling one in our town used and he said it is a Selmer Bundy (he had bought it for his grandson who never played it much) he couldn't find a II anywhere on it. Is there any difference between a Selmer Bundy and a Selmer Bundy II? Are all Selmers good for beginners?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by RALPH VINTAGE MORGAN
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: Difference between Selmer Bundy and Selmer Bundy II?

Cindylu- I am interested in your question because I was the Cheif Woodwind Technician and Designer for the SELMER Co and did the designing of the BUNDY II saxes. A bit of history---- for many years previous, the BUNDY saxes had been made by the BUESCHER Company in Elkhart, Indiana, the home also for H. and A. SELMER, at 1119 N. Main St. The body design was the same as the famous BUESCHER TRUTONE saxes, which were pattented in 1914, and were so fine that Sgurd Rascher, the world's finest player always used one. There certainly was no way of improving on that, so my attention was focusewd on variations in the mecxhanism, especially on the reshaping and location of the table keys for the left hand little finger. There were a few other minor changes made, but they were not what contributed to the sudden spurt in sales we enjoyed. The regular BUNDY had been by far the most purchased student model for years, but the first year of the BUNDY II saw a 38% further increase in sales. I see many blogs from supposed "authorities" for saxophones, especially SELMER models, but see very in the way of really accurate knowledge, such as I have after 30 years with the company. I retired 26 years ago, so witnessed the growth of the company at first hand. I wish you all the best in the musical world, Musically yours in Christ, Ralph Morgan

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

18 years ago

I've played more than a few Bundys and felt that they were pretty good horns. The keys on the Bundy II felt a bit awkward, but you would get used to that in time. Thanks for the history from a reliable source, Ralph! And by the way, thanks too for the GREAT mouthpieces you're making these days. A tool that really enables me to make better music and much appreciated (and recommended)!

Reply To Post

1. by angelRadness
        (2 posts)

15 years ago

I just picked up a Selmer Bundy II tenor @ a pawn shop for $150 after tax. I usually play an alto, but always wanted a tenor. And always dreamed of a selmer. I know that a Bundy must be like the Squier of Fender, so I wonder if it was a good deal? Enough to pursue my interest, anyway? Ps- I know how it is to be a sax player. So I told the pawn shop manager that if for any reason the original owner wanted it back, that I"d be happy to surrender it.....

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

if you found a tenor that plays for that price, ya got a smokin' deal.

Reply To Post

2. by Harrold
        (6 posts)

11 years ago

Hi Ralph, maybe you can help me, I bought a tenor HA Selmer that says Bundy on it and the serial no. says 112287 (or something very close by memory), the seller says it is mid-60's and referred to it as a Beuscher but it does not say Beuscher.  the seller I am certain is quite knowledgable about saxes due to 30-40 yrs of repair experience, and I am wondering if he says it is a Beuscher because perhaps it is modeled after one (as I have read).  I just want to know appx age of the sax, I cant find a serial # chart.  any help would be appreciated, thank you.  *not sure if Ralph will likely be on here being that his response was many yrs ago.  darn.  * checked internet and it appears Ralph passed away in 2007.  Looks like he was quite active with saxophones all his life.  Cheers to Ralph Morgan

Reply To Post

3. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

2 years ago

I find this amazing. Ralph Morgan only had one post and it was so informational.

Reply To Post