Saxophone Forum

by Rv6 Russ
(9 posts)
18 years ago

difference between Keilwerth SX 90 & EX 90

What is the difference between the SX 90 and the EX 90. Any comments on the playability of these horns? Russ

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: difference between Keilwerth SX 90 & EX 90

i dont know about the ex, but i play on an sx90 tenor. it plays very big and overall is amazing. the pads keilwerth puts crappy and stick ilke crazy. get the pads treated right off the bat.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by STEVE GOODSON
      (291 posts)

18 years ago

The SX series is made at the Keilwerth shop in Germany. The EX is made elsewhere, and is sold by Keilwerth dealers. It's a VERY different horn, made to different specifications.

Reply To Post

1. by Rv6 Russ
        (9 posts)

18 years ago

I am glad to learn that. I have been wanting to purchase Keilwerth but did not know what the EX is. I will keep looking. Thanks for the info.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Ex is a student-intermediate model horn that I believe is made in Taiwan though I'm not exactly sure. They're not a BAD horn, but not a GOOD horn either, The SX-90's are GREAT horns. As for the issue with the pads sticking, I haven't really experienced any problems myself, but I have heard of this problem before, The pads that Keilwerth uses on the SX horns are very good pads. They are treated to be moisture resistant, and apparently they have a tendancy to be a little sticky when new. It's nothing that a little Charlie's Gig Dust won't fix. and once the horn has been played a little, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Those pads will last a LONG time. As for the SX-90 vs. the SX-90R, BOTH are great horns. The SX-90R has a warmer, more vintage tone than the SX-90 due to the soldered on tone ring that mimic the vintage rolled tone holes found on the old Conn saxophones. They're not a true rolled tone hole. There were a few problems with the earlier SX-90R's with warped tone holes partly due to the soldering process. It is my feeling that the flaws in the SX-90R were not nearly as common or as severe as they were made out to be in a couple articles that I have read. I have seen several horns and ALL of them played very well. Those I have checked have all been within specifications. I recommend playing any horn before buying, but I don't think that the SX-90R's are bad horns. For the difference in price, I bought the SX-90. The price difference is close to $1000 between the two. I have been very well satisfied with my horn and the people at Keilwerth are great! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by JazzMatics
          (1 post)

14 years ago

I own a Keilwerth SX-90R Alto. It plays great !!! I purchased it four years ago and haven't any pads replaced on it yet. Every six months or so I will take it completely apart and give it a good cleaning inside and out and also wipe down the pads with a damp cloth. All in all, if you take care of your horn it will take care of you. But i do have a question about the Keilwerth Sopranos. Are they just as great a horn as the alto and tenor or should start searching elsewhere?

Reply To Post