Saxophone Forum

by Ron_mooney
(8 posts)
18 years ago

Recommendations: jazz mouthpiece for an alto Cannonball?

Unfortunately, I broke my mouthpiece on the way to a gig. I'm playing nothing but jazz right now, and I've always kind of wanted a metal Meyers mouthpiece. I've heard that some prefer hard rubber for an alto. Mine is a 1998 Cannonball. I have pretty good pitch control, I just need a good protruding jazz sound. I would also like something that isn't too rough on the low notes or up in altissimo. Any reccomendations?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Recommendations: jazz mouthpiece for an alto Cannonball?

I have two meyer 5's, one a vintage and the other a richie cole. I also use a selmer vintage metal classical for for a real liquid sound. All the best to you :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Ron_mooney
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks, Terry. So far I'm leaning toward either a hard rubber Meyer 5M or a metal meyer 5j. But does anyone know anything about those Jody Jazz mouthpieces with a removable spoiler? (Description: The ESP Alto Saxophone mouthpiece is a saxophone mouthpiece for everyone. Remove the spoiler for a lush, traditional sound. Replace the spoiler and you can achieve all of the edge a contemporary player desires.)

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Hey Ron, Depending on how much money your willing to spend, check out an RPC (www.saxmpc.com). Ron made me a 90R and it's incredible...besides, you can always send it back if you don't like it :-)

Reply To Post AIM