Saxophone Forum

by saxking001
(3 posts)
18 years ago

ALL SAX PLAYERS NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT

CHECK OUT MY HORN PLAYER'S BLOG WITH LOTS OF COOL STUFF FOR MUSICIANS... CHECK IT OUT TODAY!!! hotelchops.blogspot.com TELL YOUR FRIENDS ohhh and brass players suck!!!!! :D

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by drdennis2
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: My Yamaha tenor saxophone Custom 875

It's regarding my yamaha tenor Sax Custom 875 w/ M1 neck. How can I use it to maximum potential or to have a very good tone. Although I use an Ottolink hard rubber mouthpc w/ an opening of 7* & I'm using a medium hard fibercell reed, the quality of sound seems not too dark. It sounds a little brilliant. How can I produce a big Dark tone? Thanks a lot! Dennis

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: My Yamaha tenor saxophone Custom 875

try a cane reed as your first step. then do long tones; with an Otto Link your sound is what you make it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by drdennis2
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Thanks definition

thanks for the advice, I've tried the cane reeds 2 1/2 to 3 1/3 already to no avail. I'ved shifted from Ottolink Gold-plated Mouthpiece to Ottolink Hard rubber w/c gave me a bit darker in tone but I need to made more darker. Should I change my Ottolink Hard rubber or just practice more on long tones. Thanks for your advice . Much appreciated.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Thanks definition

There is no substitute for practice. The greatest mouthpiece in the world will not give what you need if you don't have the embouchure to support it. Practice the long tones first. Give it three good months before you think of switching mouthpieces. Then, if you don't have the sound you want, try other pieces.

Reply To Post

2. by drdennis2
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Sax Mom thanks

Thanks for the advice Sax Mom, I'll try to practice hard the long tones, also the proper embochure and hopefully I'll be able to have a bigger darker tone on my tenor sax. Take care and Good luck to you!

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

18 years ago

Re: ALL SAX PLAYERS NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT

Nice website man. On your list of 100 to listen to, Zoot Sims and Gerry Mulligan were not mentioned. You should listen to the most swingin' (incredible sense of rhythm) tenor sax in Zoot Sims. And I'm sure you've heard of Gerry Mulligan - mainly baritone sax. Might check out Gerry Mulligan and The Concert Jazz Band - one of this big bands' albums featured Zoot. Or you might prefer some earlier West Coast small group stuff. Gerry was in the Birth Of The Cool group with Miles. Both of these sax men were recording albums into the 1970's and 1980's that are quite good as well. They did not lose their chops that I could ever tell. Thanks for your time on the website.

Reply To Post