Saxophone Forum

by Mike P.
(13 posts)
18 years ago

Sticky Pads

Does anyone have a home remedy for a stick Biss key and a sticky low C# key. I have tried the dollar bill thing and am wondering if the screws need to be adjusted or if I just need to make this horn into a lam. Real frustrating to be playing and everyone look at you like a Dork when you fully intended to play one note and another comes out! Thanks for any advice! Mike

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Firk
    (31 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Sticky Pads

a dollar bill quarter folded and put in under the pad as you close it and slide it out has always been a quick fix. there are pad cleaners out there that are pretty cheap. ~Firk

Reply To Post

2. by tom29
    (1 post)

17 years ago

my teacher told me this as i had the same problem too; The reason keys stick is because the saliva runs down your sax and normalli the food you've eaten settles near the pads, this becomes sticky over time and this is why the pads stick. To fix this you will have to go to your local DIY store and buy the finest sandpaper ones which if u run your hand across wont scratch you at all. you onli need to get a small strip of it and it doesnt cost much at all. now insert it under the pad and close the key. Then gently pull the sandpaper out, do this a few times and it shudnt stick anymore. And to prevent this from further happening drink some water or rinse your mouth b4 you play your sax , shud help :)

Reply To Post

3. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

I remember the crisp dollar bill thing - learned from my teacher. A private teacher would be a good investment for you Mike - they tend to show you how to take care of your horn and what tools and supplies you need. If you'll always spend about 5 minutes putting your horn away dry, instead of wet, you'll be far happier with it. Good Luck.

Reply To Post