Saxophone Forum

by Sax_Shark
(134 posts)
18 years ago

Fake Books??

I was just curious which fake books other saxophonists are using. I will appriciate any and all help in deciding the best to buy. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Firk
    (31 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Fake Books??

i've played out of the 5th quite a bit. it's nice, but has some wrong chords and notes in melody here and there. i've played the 6th edition a little bit and have found fewer mistakes, but they are there nonetheless. both books seem to have the highly popular standards, trading in and out other tunes amonst them. my personal preference goes out to the 5th edition, but it's just that, a preference... ~Firk

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
      (101 posts)

18 years ago

If you people are referring to "The Real Book", I believe that this is an illegal conversation that you are having. Your sax credentials are in danger of being revoked. Start transcribing tunes immediately and stop using crutches to play gigs. I'm just kidding.

Reply To Post

1. by Firk
        (31 posts)

18 years ago

i play quite a few from memory, but i can only handle so much at a time..you know how it is im sure..haha it is a great reference to check chords and such even if you can play it by ear.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax_Shark
        (134 posts)

18 years ago

No, I wasn't necessarily asking about the Real Book b/c I've heard pretty bad things about their accuracy. I was trying to get a feel as to what books people are using. By the way, what 5th edition are you referring to firk? What company?

Reply To Post

1. by Firk
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

your first post specifically asked about fake books. the fake book was originally illegal because of copyright issues. now they have an edited version which has been dubbed the real book. they are essentially the same. however there are different editions of the real book. the two most recent being 5th and 6th editions. the 5th edition still has the hand written transcriptions while the 6th is now computer done. the hal leonard corp makes the 6th edition i know for sure. i would imagine they also made the 5th. hope this helps. ~Firk

Reply To Post

2. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

thanks for the clarification firk

Reply To Post