Saxophone Forum

by nscul
(3 posts)
18 years ago

HELP

i have just started playing alto sax at the begggining of this school year. I am pretty good as i already play in pep band. right now i play a yas-23 but i plan on always playing the saxophone so i want to get my own .I am renting the yas-23 from school. What is a quality sax under the price of the yas-23. A sax that could take me at least through high school and maybe into college with little or no maitenince

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

18 years ago

Re: HELP

Under the price of a yas-23? nothing. The least you'll find an usable sax for is $500. Yamahas are good, consistant horns. I would suggest buying a yas-23, or yamaha's next horn up if you want something a little better. King makes decent student horns too. Also, the little or no maintenence part sepends on how good a care you take of the horn, but beware of Dominic and his cheap saxophones that are doomed to fall apart as you are playing them (DC Pro brand), and DONT buy any Chinese horns or Wal-Mart/Sam's Club/Costco horns(which are made in China), even if they cost $200, because most repair shops won't even touch them. Look at the "Jim's list of approved saxophones" posting under highschool saxophone!

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

18 years ago

As you are playing a Yamaha, go with the YAS-62. Cheapest new pro horn, and one of the better ones on the market.

Reply To Post

1. by nscul
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

yea right yas-62 it runs way to high are all of the horns on jims list of aproved saxes good

Reply To Post

3. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

Its a normal thing to have maintenence on your horn. Unfortunately, woodwinds are simply that way.

Reply To Post

1. by nscul
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

what about Jean Baptiste saxophones.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

I would not endorse the Jean Baptiste. You should be able to get a used YAS23 for a much lower price than a new one. Since that's what you're used to playing, I would advise that, as you wouldn't have to get used to a different action. I've seen YAS 23's on Ebay go anywhere from $120-450. They may need some repair, though. Any saxophone will need some maintenance, but I trust what others have said about the Yamahas. That would be good for you, and should get you through high school and into college. If you major in music, you may want to upgrade later, but this will do well for you if you are not intending to go professional.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Look at the P Mauriat horns. They are very nice horns and they are very reasonably priced. I wouldn't buy a Jean Baptist. They are made in China. Be careful on the Winstons. Some are pretty decent, but some of their cheaper horns are not very good at all.

Reply To Post Yahoo!