Saxophone Forum

by saxmandad
(8 posts)
18 years ago

Is Conn Tenor 1926 worth more painted -original paint?

I have a 1926 Conn Tenor sax - New Wonder Series it was painted gold from the factory-would it devalue it badly if we stripped it to bare brass as duplicating original paint a real challenge. Your thoughts before we begin

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Is Conn Tenor 1926 worth more painted -original paint?

Do you mean Gold Plated?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxmandad
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

The sax is painted gold right from the factory in 1926

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

18 years ago

I think you mean gold laquered. I would say that you probably shouldn't get it relauqered, and if you have to, have it done professionally. DONT do it yourself, especially not with paint; it's laquer, not paint. And when a sax is relaquered, it can negatively affect the tone, playability, intonation and in many cases the vintage quality of the horn, so yeah, I think that would devalue it. I would (and I think many players) rather have an old horn with 10% of the laquer remaining than a relaquered, "pretty" horn. But don't strip the laquer either; that will affect the sax (for better or for worse), and you probably don't want any sudden changes in the horn's playability, so you should probably just let it go it's course.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmandad
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

The Conn saxaphones were painted then not gold laquer , thought maybe one of you have seen one - my instrument repair friend has one as well and it is original paint !!!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Conn did offer the New Wonder Series II in a variety of different colors for a couple years. Apparently, they were not too popular because they only did it for a short time. The most popular finish was silver. For this reason, I would imagine that the horn would be worth more with the original paint, as long as the finish is still fairly decent. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxmandad
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks connsaxman_jin for your comments. the paint is in just fair condition - I guess I will start the reconditioning with the idea of keeping the original finish- any other ideas ?

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

17 years ago

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Reply To Post