Saxophone Forum

by Trampas Farrell
(2 posts)
17 years ago

conn pan american sax

my father recently gave my daughter a conn pan american sax made in elkhart indiana. the serial number is 33729. it is silver plated on outside and gold inside. it appears to be in excellent condition with no dents at all. it was gone over by a proffesional 3 years ago. it sounds amazing but i think it is in the key of c. can anyone tell me anything about it? thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: conn pan american sax

It could very well be in the key of C, possibly a C Melody (if it is sized between a tenor and an alto). If it is much smaller, possibly a Soprano in C. The C Melodies were quite common for a time, and may be coming back to some extent. However, they don't write music for the C melody for High School bands.

Reply To Post

1. by Trampas Farrell
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

thank you sax mom, i wish i had access to my email everyday. my work takes me to some remote areas and today was the first day i could read your response and reply. my daughter is in the 4th grade and i think her music teacher is a little bit flummoxed on how to proceed with a student who has a sax not in e flat. he loves the conn though.... any thoughts?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

17 years ago

Needs to save that horn for home C mels are great for playing around home and with freinds, but not appropriate for the modern student in lessons or band. Get him a nice alto or tenor, but keep that for home playing!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Another possibility for the meantime may be to transpose tenor saxophone music up one whole step. Then the C-melody could play in the correct key. For a learning student, it would all have to be written out, though, and the music teacher may not want to take the time to do that. Another possibility would be to read Baritone Bass Clef and transpose up an octave, but again, it would be best if that were rewritten, as saxophones generally don't read off the bass clef. If your child plays the piano, and already reads bass clef, that might work, though.

Reply To Post

2. by eman19
          (131 posts)

17 years ago

that's slightly incorrect. you'd need to transpose down one whole step. when you see the C for a tenor sax, it's a Bb concert. that's down, not up.

Reply To Post

2. by stevehavel
        (10 posts)

17 years ago

with a saxaphone how can you tell what key it's pitched to and is there a way to learn of it's value. I have a pan american soprano from 1915.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

Steve - Sopranos are Bb - also see my reply to your other post. One more thing - seeing a patent date of 1915 does not necessarily indicate date of manufacture. More info at www.saxpics.com? Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by freshpuppy
            (12 posts)

17 years ago

"...Pan American Band Instrument Company, which Carl Greenleaf established in 1917 to produce student line instruments.." oops....I got it wrong...

Reply To Post

2. by freshpuppy
            (12 posts)

17 years ago

In investigating the Elkhart Indiana website ( kinda geeky of me)...... There was an in depth history of Conn and all his various business ventures. According to that site...He started the subsidiaries of Pan American and Continental Music Compay in 1923. Just sayin.

Reply To Post

3. by blues777
            (2 posts)

11 years ago

I have a Conn Pan American trying to ID the year and what it is 6m or what one site said 48m and year 1923 I am confused?

Pate date reads as follows on the saxophone any help please

Sept 14 1915
            A
            P29441
            L

I put some picture up also to look at in hope someone can give me help!

Thank You
            Michelle

Reply To Post

4. by saxgourmet
            (127 posts)

11 years ago

Pan American serial numbers do NOT correlate to Conn serial numbers....your horn is a low pitch (A=440) alto....the date is a patent date, not a date of manufacture

STEVE GOODSON
            New Orleans
            www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post