Saxophone Forum

by Zevulun
(24 posts)
17 years ago

Combination of mouthpieces and exercises.

Hello!, i have a Conn New Wonder Series II Tenor Saxophone and i play it since 3 months ago.I use a Berg Larsen Metal mouthpiece and i've heard that this combination of sax and mouthpiece produces a very "rock & roll" sound.I don't have a really good ear but i really like how it sounds.Someone around knows which mouthpieces are properly to get a classical music sound and other for a jazz sound?. I'm looking for a website to get basic exercises to learn as i play, there's someone good around?. Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Combination of mouthpieces and exercises.

Well, since you are getting sound, I guess the Berg is not so open that you can't push enough air. Might try a Jody Jazz or Meyer rubber mouth piece with that horn. Ralph Morgan makes a great mouthpiece. The main thing about tonal quality is how you play though. Another person might get a much different sound from your set-up. I really recommend getting a private teacher. He might help you choose another mouthpiece, as well as give you proper exercises. The basic warm-up exercise for me is for breath control mainly. Just a chromatic scale, holding each tone for 6 beats @ 120, breathe for 2 beats, hold next tone for 6 beats and etc. The better your breath control and embouchure, the better you'll play in the end. I know this is boring, but do it over and over for 5-10 minutes before opening your practice book. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Zevulun
      (24 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Combination of mouthpieces and exercises.

Great, Donnie!. Very gentle from yourself.Thanks, mate. I wish you all the best.

Reply To Post