Saxophone Forum

by Gumptious
(40 posts)
17 years ago

Lyrical Solo needed

I will be auditioning at colleges this year and already have a technical solo (Ibert) and now need to find a very impressive lyrical solo I can play. I want it something down the lines of the middle movement of the Ibert. Nice, pretty, slow, lyrical...whichever of those gives you the best idea of what I'm looking for. Something that I can really show off especially musicality and tone with. (Does Creston Sonata have any such movements? Or is there a better suggestion anyone can give me?)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Conclave
    (45 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Lyrical Solo needed

Bozza "Aria" 2nd mvt. of the Creston Sonata 2nd mvt of Tableaux de Provence The Old Castle by Mussorgsky

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

excerpts from the glazunov mvt. 2 of the lunde why not use the slow movement of the ibert?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

The second movement of the Creston is one of the most beautiful lyrical pieces in the standard literature--lots of passion in the line.

Reply To Post

4. by hselmer9966
    (31 posts)

17 years ago

i agree with the bozza aria, its very beautiful. also the 2nd mvt of the dubois concerto is what i believe to be the most beautiful slow mvt, it also has some fun lines in it that sound unbelievable with the piano, good luck on your auditions

Reply To Post

1. by Gumptious
      (40 posts)

17 years ago

Does the Heidan sonta have a lyrical movement in it? Or is it not much of a lyrical piece?

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

17 years ago

Bozza is good ,,,do you have plenty of air for it ,,,also good is ,,,,cansoun ,,from Tableaux de Provence ,,,the Bach arias are also good,,,albinoni adagio is excellent,,,,vocalise de Faure also your pick !

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Bozza is amazing :-) I just played one of his solos "Improvization Et Caprice" (I think I spelled that rght?) Lots of fun.

Reply To Post AIM