Saxophone Forum

by Sax Mom
(964 posts)
17 years ago

Loose Neck

Hi. What is the process by which a saxophone neck joint can be made less loose? Several of the saxophones in the High School band have this issue, and tightening the screw as far as it will go is not enough to tighten the joint.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Loose Neck

take it to a tech. they will expand the neck for a tighter fit. its an easy fix and very inexpensive

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Actually, I was more interested in the process the tech will use, I like to learn. Is there a special kind of tool they use, and how does it work? I was NOT planning to try to do something myself.

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

17 years ago

Mom, I like to expand the tenon with an expander. (Votaw Tool's Gorilla tenon joint expander is a good example) I over expand the tenon slightly (a la just a little too tight) then shrink it with my tenon shrinker from Ferree's Tools. I find this process leaves the tenon in a much "rounder" state than just simply expanding. When it's to the point where it's almost there but ever so slightly on the tight side I then lap the tenon in to it's receiver with ultra fine lapping compound. This insures a "perfect, leak free fit". This is what works for me. Let's hear from some of the other guys on this also, please.?.?.?.?

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

17 years ago

One thing to keep in mind. I wouldn't trust a tenon expansion to just anybody. From what I gather, both on the web and personal experience, it's easy to create an even worse problem: a leaking tenon because of a deformity in the neck socket. It's probably why my Buescher Tenor likes to jump a fifth on G2 as I don't recall it doing so before having a guy tighten the neck. Eventually I plan on having the equipment to fix this myself. Tbone isn't the only one recommending the Votaw, and the expander sounds like a good idea as well.

Reply To Post

2. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

17 years ago

It's not enough to just get a tight fitting tenon. It should be a machined fit. The entire surface of the tenon should be in direct contact with it's receiver in order to have an effective seal. Sometimes the receiver must also be addressed if it's also distorted.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks, guys, this has been very informative.

Reply To Post

4. by Jaxsax
          (5 posts)

17 years ago

Try putting a little candle wax or bees wax on the screw that tightens the neck joint. then tighten it and see if that helps. . . . Jack

Reply To Post

5. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

17 years ago

Wax will not help if the screw is already bottoming out as stated in the original post.

Reply To Post