Saxophone Forum

by Saxicide
(3 posts)
17 years ago

Thor? I thought that was a Norse God...

I ride by an antique store on the bus everyday--and everyday I see the same old and interesting alto sitting in the window. Today I finally took a look, and while definiatley an older sax it seemed to have nice pads and was priced at about $295. However, where the brand should be on the bell, sitting in the midst of all this pretty engraving, was simply the word THOR. Plain, no frilly caligraphy, just THOR. Now, this is a brand I have never heard of. Has anybody here got some insight?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Thor? I thought that was a Norse God...

Or was that a Roman or Greek figure? Why not see if they'll let you try the horn. It's probably a stencil, but if it works good & sounds good for $295? Tell them you need to try it before you buy it - and you brought your own mouthpiece and you'll clean it up. Then you'll know Thor.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

17 years ago

Sounds like an American Stencil: Typically it will probably be either a Conn or a Buescher that a store paid to have made with their own custom brand or "Stencil" on it. We would need pictures to tell for sure as there's always the chance it's just a POS.

Reply To Post

3. by musicwriter2001
    (14 posts)

17 years ago

if it does sound good, and plays well you could name it Mjolnir honor of the god of thunder. then you could play some real ragnarock and roll. (sorry, couldnt resist).

Reply To Post