Saxophone Forum

by dolphin
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Modal Jazz

I have created a website dedicated to modal jazz - www.modaljazz.com. The kind of music made famous by Miles Davis on the record Kind of Blue. The site contains a "Learn to play" section, and is a good resource for sax players who want to make the transition from playing rock, pop, etc. to jazz. Bye for now, Dolphin :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Modal Jazz

That stuff is just linear improvisation. I was probably playing So What before most people here were born. It's very simple music, and should be just one weapon in your arsenal. You players need major, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, and diminished runs. You need pentatonic scales and diatonic modes. You need to spell chords vertically. Modal jazz is kind of a cool jam, and I still play it, but don't miss the big picture. Don't go on that website and order all those books thinking that you will be the next Coltrane. You can know twenty words that rhyme with moon, but can you put them in a poem? The only way that you are going to play any genre is to do it. When I first took up bamboo flute in asia there were no books, but I listened and mimicked the modes and scales. Modes are just a small part of the big picture. I certainly wouldn't stop playing rock because I learned the diatonic modes :) What I'm trying to say is, don't get hoodwinked by these shake and bake websites. :) Tear it up!!!! Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by spottspidermunki
      (55 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Modal Jazz

Amen. Even in my limited experience Terry, I totally agree. It seems to me like the real teachers are the recordings, and hopefully the transcriptions of the recordings done by the aspiring musician. It seems like the licks are all out there. So many ideas are already floating around that method books seem helpful at times, but usually unnessecary.

Reply To Post AIM