Saxophone Forum

by srGal
(7 posts)
17 years ago

Cleaning the Saxaphone

I own a CONN Tenor sax. I have some scratches on him and i want to make him shiny because I have a concert next week. So wich material should I use to make him clean and shiny? thnax!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Cleaning the Saxaphone

Don't Try Anything! Nothing you can do will remove the scratches. Dirt and smudges can be taken care of with a damp rag, but don't get water into the mechanisms.

Reply To Post

1. by srGal
      (7 posts)

17 years ago

Yea sure I know that nothing can remove the scratches. but maybe window cleaning meterial can do my Sax shiny? or just a spong wih a little bit water?

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

As far as the outside finish, the most important thing to remember is to take time cleaning your horn after playing. Remove saliva wherever possible. Invest in -or make - proper cleaning supplies. A private teacher will help with learning the regimen. I used to get a little of the excess key oil on a clean soft rag and clean the exterior with that. Then remember to wipe off the excess before storage. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Just use a clean soft rag, and rub lightly.

Reply To Post

2. by mttsaxman
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

Along those lines, I have a tenor and alto vintage Conn transitionals (both 1930) with silver plating...beautiful horns, but the devil to keep clean. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the tarnish down or a safe product to use?

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

They make those tarnish retarding strips that you can put with your silverware or by the silver service in the china cupboard. Could you put a couple of those in the cases with the saxophones? I would take care to fasten them down, somehow, so they don't rest against any part of the horn, but I would think they should help.

Reply To Post

4. by closelabs
          (10 posts)

17 years ago

I have a 1924 Silver Conn Soprano. I use the strips that both 3M and Hagerty's make. They are inexpensive and I have only found them on the internet. I started using them over 2 years ago and have not had any tarnish since. I do play/practice regularly so there is plenty of exposure.

Reply To Post

5. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

17 years ago

for silver use those tarnish strips or cover the horn in a very lite coat of johnsons wax or something

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by JimF
          (9 posts)

17 years ago

I find that the bags that Crown Royal comes in work very well for wiping my tenor down. Also, the obvious perk is the bottle of Crown Royal within the bag. It's a win-win siuation.

Reply To Post