Saxophone Forum

by Tenorlysaxyjazzguy
(23 posts)
17 years ago

Metal mouthpieces: A comparison

I've been on a long hunt for a good mouthpiece. I have managed to bring it down to 2 that I think define my style and tone, they are the Phil Barone Jazz tenor sax mouthpiece, and the Jody Jazz DV tenor sax mouthpiece. I cant decide which is better. Does anyone play with these or know about which brand is better? I like them equally so I want other people with a greater knowledge of these to help me decide. I would love some help on this.... thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kid
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Metal mouthpieces: A comparison

I recommend the Jody Jazz. From what I know, they have a nice following, and nice options.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

That's good that you've narrowed it down to two mouthpieces that you like (some players never get that far) . . . I would suggest that you bring in one or two saxophonists (whose opinions you trust) with you to the shop and play through the two mouthpieces for them. Then have them comment on what they hear. Also, bring in some kind of recording device so you can hear it yourself (it's going to sound VERY different on tape from the way you hear it while you are playing). Every sax player is different. You are dealing with two reputable brands here, so I wouldn't make the decision solely on brand name . . . go with the mouthpiece that works best for you. Best of luck!

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

17 years ago

Both are excellant mouthpieces, and the highest quality mouthpieces on the market today, I believe. I'm a little partial to the Jody Jazz, mainly because I have written Jody a few times seeking advice and discussing intonation problems that I have seen with certain mouthpieces I have used, and I respect and admire him for taking the time to answer my questions and for sharing his wisdom. Jody's mouthpieces are amazing, but Phil Barone's are awesome too! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Tenorlysaxyjazzguy
      (23 posts)

17 years ago

thanks jim! Yeah the cool thing about the barone though is how open the chamber is... but I like the feel of the Jody, its more personable... its a really tough call!

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

You might check out the Phil Barone New York model - that's what I settled on for metal. I can recommend Ralph Morgan, Fred Rast (rastmusic.com) and Patrick Springer (springermpc.com) for some really nice hand-finished rubber mouthpieces that could make you forget about metal. - - - - Later.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

17 years ago

Call Phil Barone, number is on his site. He'll talk to you and recomend a piece for you to check out, and not necesarily one of his own. He is really very knowledgable on the subject

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by CLGvdB
        (1 post)

17 years ago

Hi, i was also on the hunt for a new MPC. For a long time i've played rubber otto link slant sig. Recently i came in contact with a french MPC, its called Lebayle. When i first played it i could not believe its was me playing, Top to bottum so easy, warm and responsif MPC. Finally i've bought the Jazz model, real great. Regards CLGvdB

Reply To Post

3. by sultanofsax
        (31 posts)

17 years ago

In my opinion....(here we go) the Phil Barone and the Jody Jazz seem to be overpriced. Now dont freak out. I have not looked a prices in a while, but, they are all over 200. I can get a whole lot of great tones with my 80's Dukoff D8, which was made before i was born he he he... so you might not value what i have to say, but for my age i know quite a bit. Back on subject, for my tenor i play a Dukoff (AWESOME!!!) can have a great rock and roll sound, but play very contemporary sounding and i can get a smooth sound too. I also play a brilhart level aire on the tenor on occasion, and my alto, and get get very nice tones from it too very bright contemporary sounds, but if i push it a little it goes with me. The dukoffs are in the 140 dollar range, an if you like contemporary Sanborn plays one, and the brilharts are about the same. My opinion is that Dukoff is the best mouthpiece i have played for one, and for the price you cant beat them.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Just know that if you go with a modern Dukoff, chances are it would be better off as a door stop and wont play well till you get it refaced anyways, so might as well add about 100 dollars to that 140...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by bigred
            (43 posts)

17 years ago

otto link 9, new or vintage (nothing past the florida models) I play a florida and it compares to nothing. Link's are the way to go

Reply To Post

1. by milo33410
              (3 posts)

17 years ago

I'm also looking for a metal mouthpiece. Does any one know if the selmer jazz mouthpiece metal mouth piece is any good.

Reply To Post

2. by Seano
              (132 posts)

17 years ago

In response to bigreds recommendation, be careful with Links. They have sold pieces with uneven facings, and have had some quality control issues. But, they are AWESOME pieces if you get a good one. And 9s are quite open, so thats a personal thing. I play a ten, i know plenty of people who wouldnt. You can get a great sound out of a 5. good luck to you. Sean

Reply To Post

3. by SmoothSaxMan314
              (3 posts)

17 years ago

I play on a Guardala Super King and it sounds great. They say its meant to play over elctronics and etc. but i play it on jazz gigs and combos and blends nicely. Very bright and focused. Im not to fond of the crescent Guardala because they sound like my Berg 110/2 so i saved some money on that one..

Reply To Post Yahoo!