Saxophone Forum

by saxman1990
(25 posts)
17 years ago

Chord symbols

Hello everyone I have a problem. I am a sophmore in high school with a busy schedule. I have a solo in my jazz band and I need to figure out the chord symbols for the solo. Does anybody know a website or anything that could help me figure out chord symbols.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Chord symbols

I don't think that your conductor is going to throw you to the lions. Get your music and go over it with your teacher/ conductor to figure out what chords your solo plays over to write the symbols. In high school they're not going to send you out there to go down in flames, and you need theory, (intervals), to spell the chords. If you know a piano or guitar player, he or she can tell you what your solo plays over. Then you can write the symbols. An internet sight cannot figure that out for you, and if your schedule is too busy to do the work on this, you are cheating yourself. Buckle down and get on it. Good Luck :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Seano
      (132 posts)

17 years ago

And once you've done what Terry has suggested, you should find a good recorded solo of the tune you're playing, and try to apply some of the ideas to your solo. This is a good thing to do with all the tunes you learn. Yes, I know chords are hard to grasp at first, a couple of years a ago I had absolutely no idea at all... but once you are familiar with all the chords, you should make some time to practice the arpeggios and relevant scales until you can play them from memory. If you do all of the above (including what Terry suggested) you should be alright. Best of luck to you Sean

Reply To Post

2. by musician1
    (3 posts)

17 years ago

Hello saxman1990 Regarding your question about chord symbols. If you are starting from nothing, a good way in would be simply to play the third of each chord in a connected way, freely but in time, and you will find it will work. This will start to develop your ears. - It could help to think in your head of Fly me to the Moon - that melody is all on thirds of each chord. I would suggest that as a foundation - dont worry too much about the scales etc - thats all in the music anyway, whether you know them or not. Once you have internalised the sound and feel of thirds, it will lead your ear on to other things such as the 5ths etc - moving from 5 to 3 and so on. You will start to hear pleasing sounds. Keep it simple. Hope that is useful. Musician1

Reply To Post