Hey My name is Brandon and I'm new on here.....I play tenor sax

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Seano
    (132 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Hey

Welcome, my fellow tenorist. I'm Sean. nice to meet you.

Reply To Post

1. by Brandon_1023
      (34 posts)

17 years ago

Hey Nice to meet you.....its nice to meet a fellow tenor becuase I am the only one at my school....lol. But hey

Reply To Post

2. by Brandon_1023
      (34 posts)

17 years ago

Hey I was wondering if you could give me a suggestion on a saxophone to buy becuase I use the school instument (which is a bundy)

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

Hi Brandon. I rented a Bundy for a while before my folks were convinced to step me up to a Selmer - by my teacher. I've had this Selmer Mark VI for 44 years. The point being - where do you see yourself taking this saxophone thing? Do you think you will want to be playing past high school? Past college? Want to make money on the side all your life with your horn? And then the tougher problem - how much money do we have to work with? If it's $1000 there are options. If it's $3000 there are more options. Let me know.

Reply To Post

1. by Brandon_1023
          (34 posts)

17 years ago

I think abot $3000 dollars is around where I am to spend I think its $2000-3000 is my range my parents gave me

Reply To Post

2. by Brandon_1023
          (34 posts)

17 years ago

Oh are Cecillia(or Cecillio) good saxes my Bari sax freind has one and wants to sell it I've played on it and its pretty good but I'm wondering if that is a name of good quality? Would it last me a long time?

Reply To Post

3. by Brandon_1023
          (34 posts)

17 years ago

oh and yeah I can see my self playing saxophone as an old man on my front porch lol ^_^....to me my instrument is my life I want an instrument that will last a good long time.

Reply To Post

4. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

Brandon- These things are good to hear - and I agree that auditioning a wide variety of horns could be the right way to go. If you get this chance, try to pay attention to how easy it is to get around on the horn - top to bottom. Take your own mouthpiece and offer to clean up after yourself--- dry out the horns after you play them. Listen to tonal differences - but at this point in your development your own ability progression will have a bigger impact on tone than horn alloy differences. It's wonderful that you might get to consider spending $3000. If you get a student or intermediate model now, you'll likely be trading up in a few years. If you'll take care of a pro horn now - it might last you 40+ years like mine has. You could get a lightly used pro-line Selmer, Keilwerth, newer Yamaha or Yanagisawa. (Avoid early Yamahas, I heard). As far as modern horns - these are what I'd consider. And since I have a Mark VI Selmer - the first thing I'd look at are the Selmer Reference 36 and 54 models, as well as the Super Action 80 Series II and Series III. I was offered a real nice used Reference 36 tenor at $2200 recently, for instance. But I hear good things about other brands as well : P.Mauriat, Steve Goodson, even recently made Cannonballs --- just wouldn't trust them myself. One last thing. Try to avoid anything that might be a fad - like weird colored lacquer, no lacquer and etc. You won't want a purple sax when you're 55, and you won't want a greenish grungy bare brass horn either. Protect that brass all you can - dry it off inside and out after each use. --- Later man.

Reply To Post

5. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

Connsaxman --- aka Jim has a list of approved sax brands under the High School Sax section. He tried to think of every possible decent brand. There are many bad brands now and I would guess Cecillio is pretty bad.

Reply To Post

6. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

17 years ago

There's no substitute for going to the best nearby store (usually the one with the most saxes) and trying as many as they will let you. It's the only way to hear and feel the differences. No two are *exactly* alike, even of the same model, and I think that what sounds/feels good to you is the most important thing next to quality of construction. FYI, I did that a year ago and walked out with a Yamaha 82Z. Yamaha is known for building solid instruments, and it felt better to me than a some others that cost over $1000 more...

Reply To Post

7. by Brandon_1023
          (34 posts)

17 years ago

Wow thanks

Thanks for all your help I will see about calling bibb music and asking to try out on some horns

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

Greetings. Hope you prosper - at least in terms of enjoyment - in the world of music. Practice at least an hour a day. Take private lessons. Work hard at getting better. When you become the best player at your school, realize you still have much to learn. And may you still be playing after 44 years as I have. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

1. by Brandon_1023
          (34 posts)

17 years ago

Hey nice to meet you to I work hard and play at least 2 hours a day so I'm working hard and I dream of being a band conductor one day and thanks for the luck. I can't take private lessons though becuase I can't find anyone and I take private piano lessons so I'm full....lol

Reply To Post

3. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

17 years ago

Welcome aboard! I think you'll like it here if you keep in mind that 80% of what everyone here says is just their opinion (although often backed up by years of experience!)... You can get a lot of great info here and from books, but if you're just starting on sax (like I was 2 years ago), I strongly recommend getting at least a few private lessons. There's no substitute for having someone with experience watching/listening to you play and giving you a few tips on how you can do it better, and what areas you should concentrate on for improvement. I've been a musician for about 40 years (mainly guitar and vocals) and I think the ten or twelve sax lessons I've had saved me a lot of trouble in picking it up.

Reply To Post

1. by Brandon_1023
          (34 posts)

17 years ago

Yeah I love this site its great I play saxophone in band at school and in marching band I'm about to tryout for district honor band this saturday after ner next so I've been playing for a while.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

17 years ago

If you can't get private lessons, at least work with your band instructor one-on-one whatever chance you get. I imagine he or she would be more than happy to encourage one who shows such interest as you do. Also, please consider buying the book, "The Art of Saxophone Playing" by Larry Teal. It is available at most music store, and other book stores as well. You can also get new and used copies at Amazon.com. It is also required for some college methods courses, so your band director may be familiar with it. It should help you in your practice.

Reply To Post

2. by saxychick
            (16 posts)

17 years ago

hey!!! if you're looking for a new tenor, you should definitely try the yanis.... they're good, that's what my tenor is.... anyways.... i think it's awesome u wanna be a band teacher--- i do too! what year are you in school??! do u know where ur gonna go to college?? I'm trying to look for a good music school...... so yeah..... TENOR ROCKS--- but not as much as bari does (i'm a bari player too!!! haha) SEE YA!!!!

Reply To Post

1. by Brandon_1023
              (34 posts)

17 years ago

I'm In 9th grade but yeah the Bari is cool I can't play the bari though until the boy graduates lol....but until then I'll stick with my tenor till junior year and I'll try for drum major.

Reply To Post