Saxophone Forum

by Papa John
(3 posts)
17 years ago

Looking for instrument for son he is a musician

Hi looking at vintage conn sax's for my son he plays flute piano learning to play alto sax, am looking at c melody sax for x mass gift. Any thoughts on this as well I see that there is straight neck and curved neck models. he is only 12 but practices all three instruments every day. As well as working with a kurzweil pcr-1 keyboard from time to time I am not a musician but have researched several different models conn seems like one of the better ones. Looking to purchase via eBay and have done my due diligence as to what I am looking for. Price seems to be a obstacle as the good ones are going for 400.00 I guess what I am looking for is specific serial numbers for a sweet sounding instrument. I can figure condition out All help appreciated . Thanks in advance

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Looking for instrument for son he is a musician

Papa- I assume you want a C-Melody sax to allow playing a piano or guitar part? Some of these old horns are really hard to tune exactly like your piano. For the best chance - get one that says Low Pitch or A=440. Did you know about the difficulty in finding mouthpieces for these horns? If you still want to go there, Buescher made some good ones as well as Conn. I saw a nearly new condition silver plated horn on eBay a couple of months ago for about $800, I think. If you decide to get an Eb Alto or Bb tenor - look us up again. Good Luck.

Reply To Post