Saxophone Forum

by Black Orpheus
(23 posts)
17 years ago

Best Classical Sax CDs?

I'm fairly new to classical sax listening, and I'm very interested in building up a library of great sax CDs. Can anyone recommend Must-Have classical sax CDs? What CDs are best for specifically soprano, alto, tenor and bari listening?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Best Classical Sax CDs?

bari-todd oxford- finesse tenor- not really many straight tenor albums, however claude delangle's the soloitary saxophone has some really good tenor on there. alto-Eugene Rousseau-saxophone concertos, claude delangle-saxophone for a lady, Jean Ives Fourmeau-saxophone concertos, Otis Murphy-Memories of Dinant. thats a fairly good start. these guys play how it is really commonly accepted today to play classically. once you get a grasp for this, check out some marcel mule, hes phenomenal, however somewhat dated. today his tone and vibrato are not used quite as much, and are very difficult to immitate, listen to him, but maybe a little later. also check out fourmeau's quartet CD, it will blow your mind.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Black Orpheus
      (23 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for those recommendations. What is the name of Formeau's quartet and the name of the CD?

Reply To Post

1. by Bibimbop
        (53 posts)

17 years ago

Here are some of my favorites: Joseph Lulloff- Interplay Claude Delangle- The Solitary Saxophone Quatuor Habanera- Grieg, Glazunouv, and Dvorak Nobuya Sugawa- Fuzzybird

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
          (138 posts)

17 years ago

This is a great CD. There are a couple songs on there that are good things to do to warm up and overall is classical saxophone at its best. Tenor, Alto, and Soprano. I this guy's tone better than almost any other classical sax player. This is a goldmine. www.amazon.com/Caprice-Nicolas-Prost/dp/B0000C69XG/sr=8-2/qid=1165798136/ref=sr_1_2/002-5362930-7420022?ie=UTF8&s=music Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

heres a link to the info. perso.orange.fr/jean-yves.fourmeau/Discographie%20angl%20sax%20quartet.htm its the "live in matsumoto" album. all of them will be good, but i particularly like that one

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM