Saxophone Forum

by djazzy
(65 posts)
17 years ago

Donna Lee

Hello Everybody! I've been looking for a copy of Donna Lee for tenor sax. I've only been able to find copies for piano and my transposition wasn't accurate.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Donna Lee

the charlie parker omni book

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

17 years ago

yes, buy that book, its cheap, and has all the parker you can take

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxmachine777
        (57 posts)

17 years ago

Hey dj, I've transcribed Donna Lee for tenor, and I believe I have it in Finale format. If you'd like, I could send it to you. Drop me a line on my email at [email protected] It lies a bit goofy for tenor on a few passages, but it really sounds great once you get the larger interval jumps down, and it helps with interval control over some of the more difficult jumps on the horn. That omnibook is worth it though (despite the fact that I, for some reason, have neglected to buy it for several years now). George

Reply To Post AIM

1. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for the help. I got the Charlie Parker Omnibook for Christmas. I'm also trying to find Isfahan for tenor sax, I can't find a method book with a transcription.

Reply To Post

2. by Seano
          (132 posts)

17 years ago

Why not transcribe it?

Reply To Post

3. by JaZzer
          (25 posts)

17 years ago

If you have the piano part, just transpose it, it'll help more than finding the music and reading off the page. But buy the omnibook anyway, it's an essential.

Reply To Post

4. by The Insomniac Saxman
          (141 posts)

17 years ago

I second Seano's suggestion . . . you will learn a lot by transcribing. Years ago, there weren't a lot of transcriptions on the market, and a number of great players cut their teeth by playing along with records and transcribing. It can also be a lot of fun . . . I remember my summer between high school and college where I learned about 12 years of Tom Scott solos by playing along with the records (and subsequently learning the style as well). Best of luck!

Reply To Post